Changing fluids

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I just bought a 04 F150 super cab with 183,000 miles. The truck sat at the little dealership for several months. At the end of the month going to have the truck tuned up. Where the truck sat for several months should I get the radiator flushed as well as the oil changed? Should I get the transmission fluid changed? I have no idea when and if it’s ever been changed. If I change it can I have issues or damage the transmission?

85_Ranger4x4

Coolant flush is never a bad idea on an older rig.

Trans flush can cause problems but if it does the trans was on borrowed time. If it is depending on the little bits of clutch material floating in the fluid for traction it isn't long for this world anyway.

Engine oil and diff/t-case oil would be good too. Nobody changes the axle or t-case unless they have to so there is a good chance it is still original.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Definitely change the trans fluid and filter. I wouldn’t flush it. If the trans pan doesn’t have a drain plug, get one that does. I just put one on my Explorer and it was like $20. My Expedition has one.

My Expedition, which is fairly similar to your F150, also has a torque converter drain.

But yeah, change all the fluids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior