Change of plan, gone diesel. Need feedback!

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
So I told my mitsu dealer to call me if they had a quad cab Diesel/short bed come through ( this is the where I got my eclipse from) so they call, they have a 2002 Dmax quad cab short bed for 18k. Well in short I gave them my eclipse and my Tahoe for the truck 75,000 miles. I came out good on deal!:wings: Now I am reading about all these injector issues with this truck and I am starting to crap on myself... Should I start saving 5k for injectors? :Wow1: Can anyone give me a good story about one of these that lasted a long time? or I domed to have this injector issue? For whats it worth, no smoke on start up, runs like a top, no lights, will have some pics tomorrow..

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
wish i had some answers for you, but i dont own a dmax, i own a powerstroke

go to www.dieselforums.com and use ZombieSoldier as you referral. there are others there that have a lot of info they can help you with.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Come on guys, I know someone has a good Dmax story that will make me feel better. lol.

Started right up this morning, no smoke, drives very well. I read that these like around a half quart of 2 stroke oil per tank of gas... Seems that injector issue is hit or miss, some never haver problems some have many...

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Its very important to change the fuel filter often on the D-max. I have heard some guys do it every oil change even. I would probably change it every other oil change if you aren't driving it very often. Use good diesel additive too like Stanadyne on a regular basis. What usually kills the injectors is contaminatants from bad fuel or lack of maintenace. I have seen the tubes from the rails to the injectors loose their plating and ruin the injectors too. I would say probably 95% of the injectors and fuel system problems I have fixed on D-maxes were owner caused, most by lack of maintenance, some by biodiesel.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I had an 04 it made it to around 140k before the injectors pooped the first time then roughly 30k-35k after that for the second. Both times were replaced under warranty. Then about another 30k-35k it started to smoke again so I traded it for an 07 5.9 cummins. I put on a high efficiency fuel filter after the first time and it didn't seem to help.

If using 2 stroke oil as an additive it is one ounce to one gallon. I ran lucas injector cleaner and lubricant intil the first time they went out. After that I tried 2 stroke oil and the last set I tried biodiesel as an additive. What I remember from my research is that the guys who seem to have problems with them only get about 30k-40k out of a replacement set.

I don't mind as much when a vehicle has a problem I can upgrade and fix so it won't happen again, and this played a major role in me getting rid of my LB7. Replacing a problem part with another problem part and is craziness.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
A far as to 2 stroke oil I sdded 16oz to my fill up this morning. I have read that low sulfer fuel is hard on the system. I am going to change oil and filter asap. I no longer have a project truck so my excuess funds will be going to maintaince and a "gawd dam it" fund just incase they go out. If they start to go will I get a code? Other things I should check? Tanks for the feedback, still waiting for that "I went 300k with no problems story" lol

bfdiesel

Explorer
Most likely no code just smoking at idle when warmed up, not cold. The 300k stories start with the LLY. Pump rub in the t-case just do a search for it. Steering components tend to be weak. There are braces and sleeves to help with that. I had put a steering kit made by exaxt on my 04 and would recommend it. Look up how to change the water pump not that you need to, but to see how much you don't want to have to.

Always carry a fuel filter with the truck.

Enjoy the truck mine never left me stranded and always made it home. It was a good truck I just didn't want to pay to do the injectors and my water pump also had started weeping. It was becoming more time, money and work than I wanted to put into my daily/road trip machine. If it hadn't been for the injectors I would still have it.

tombodad

Adventurer
1. Read this:

http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_131&products_id=92

(side note, Duramax Store is a great retailer with good prices, and awesome customer service)

2. Filter, Filter, Filter.
The oem duramax filtering is simply inadequate. There are multiple routes that you can go to replace this with an aftermarket inline system.
Also, check this out. Great way to switch out you $60 7 micron OEM filter, for a better, cheaper $20 2 micron Cat filter. Keep in mind though, the oem filter has water separating capabilities, the Cat doesn't. However, it is a larger, finer, filter, and should trap more water than the oem one did anyway.
Also, keep in mind that the more filtration that happens, that harder it is on your fuel pump to keep up. Replacing it can be beneficial as well. Something like an Airdog lets you take care of filtration, water/air separation, and fuel pumping all at once.

3. Additives.
The new ULSD is crap. Whether you choose 2 stroke oil, Amsoil, Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne, or one of the 15,000 others, use something. Here is an interesting study with probably more than you care to read about additives :)

Cheers. From one new Duramax owner to another!

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Well, let me ask you this; how much towing did you do with the truck?
chip? exahust? intake? or just stock?

Sorry for all the questions, just hope I did not buy a huge headache... There is def no smoke and I will not be using it for towing, guess I will baby it and hope for the best....

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
1. Read this:

http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_131&products_id=92

(side note, Duramax Store is a great retailer with good prices, and awesome customer service)

2. Filter, Filter, Filter.
The oem duramax filtering is simply inadequate. There are multiple routes that you can go to replace this with an aftermarket inline system.
Also, check this out. Great way to switch out you $60 7 micron OEM filter, for a better, cheaper $20 2 micron Cat filter. Keep in mind though, the oem filter has water separating capabilities, the Cat doesn't. However, it is a larger, finer, filter, and should trap more water than the oem one did anyway.
Also, keep in mind that the more filtration that happens, that harder it is on your fuel pump to keep up. Replacing it can be beneficial as well. Something like an Airdog lets you take care of filtration, water/air separation, and fuel pumping all at once.

3. Additives.
The new ULSD is crap. Whether you choose 2 stroke oil, Amsoil, Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne, or one of the 15,000 others, use something. Here is an interesting study with probably more than you care to read about additives :)

Cheers. From one new Duramax owner to another!

THANKS! Thats a great link, I read the whole thing and am leaving after work to replace filter. :elkgrin:

Rot Box

Explorer
From what I have seen "most" LB7's have ran (limped/ran very poorly) long enough to either get back home or to a place where the person could get cell service and call a tow truck. There were no visible warnings or noticeable signs of wear--it (usually 1 injector) pretty much just stop working. Would I feel comfortable limping a truck home with a bad injector? No not really but what other option do you have? :eek:

I don't know what to tell you... If it was a daily driver I wouldn't worry about it. If it did go bad pull it home and worry about it later. That said if I was planning on driving an LB7 in remote areas like where I drive my F350 (and from the sounds of it you are) I would be fairly worried about it seems how there isn't help within 100+ miles at times lol!

All you can really do is preventative maintenance, be aware of any signs of premature failure and read up on the diesel forums for more information. In my mind not only do the Airdog and/or Fass systems filter better and more conveniently but they also REMOVE air from the system and that really improves injector life. I would go that route and also install a fuel pressure gauge just for peace of mind. I don't know how complicated it is or how much effort it would take to change a failed injector out on the trail, but if it is justifiable/practical I would look into that option and acquire all the parts, tools and troubleshooting skills you can do do so and carry them with you. A code scanner is also a must have for any new vehicle imo. Hope this helps,

Andrew

bfdiesel

Explorer
Changing a failed injector on the trail is pretty much not worth it. All manner of stuff needs to be removed to get the valve covers off and get to the injectors. Most bad injectors leak fuel that is pushed into the exhaust. The only real problem to limping it out is if you get a cracked body and end up filling the crank case with diesel and puking it out on the trail. Many trucks have had diesel fill the case and survived unscathed once the injectors were changed.

Mine seemed to go south after I was done with my heavy towing and started doing empty runs to pick up my son in Washington state (about 2k round trip). Prior to that I was in the military and used it to tow everything I owned around the country and I also helped out some friends. For awhile it seemed to be permanently attached to the trailer then at about 105k I settled and started using it to do runs up to see my boy.

I personally would not run a CRD without a water separator. Also remember water separators work best when the fuel is pulled and not pushed through them. On the fass and airdog the separator is on the suction of the pump.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I can't give you any feel-good stories about the d-max (I'm a Cummins fan), but remember that the internet doesn't give you a clean cross section of owners. Most of what you read is posted by people who are looking for a solution to a problem they have. You never hear from the people who don't have problems - so it almost always looks worse than it really is.

YMMV, and all that stuff.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles