Change of Direction for LR in America?

DesertBound

Observer
I've been drawn to the go-anywhere appeal of Land Rover products for a long time (heck, my Xterra appeals to me partly because they cribbed the profile of the Disco). I've considered picking up a Disco or even an LR3 to build up as an expedition rig, rather than the Xterra, but concerns over electronic and other malfunctions have kept me waiting to see if LR can conquer the quality gremlins before I fork over my cash (not bashing LR, this is just my perception based on experiences of personal friends/co-workers). Now I'm concerned that I might never get the chance:

In the current issue of Automobile magazine, they have a section that discusses the future of LR in America. According to their sources (purportedly "some long-range product planners at the Premier Automotive Group"), Land Rover will be moving to an exclusively Range Rover product line-up in the U.S. While they mention that true off-road capability is a must, they seem to suggest that they'll be offering more high-end street-oriented vehicles a la the Range Rover Sport. They mentioned that the new LR2 would probably be discontinued here, since it's a slow seller and doesn't have much margin to begin with. The implication is that the LR3, if it continues, will become more of a tall street-oriented wagon. They say that the Defender doesn't have a future here.

I realize that this may not be true at all, but it's a little alarming if only because it probably makes some sense from a business perspective. This does fly in the face of some of the rumors we've heard recently about the Defender being modified to meet federal safety standards.

Here's the article (scroll down to the second half for LR content): Ford's Battle Plan

What do you think? Are Land Rovers days as a purveyor of truly off-road-worthy vehicles in the U.S. nearing an end? Or is this just the thinking of a few product planners within LR?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I think the larger the company involved, ie ford. The more the decisions of the direction of the products will be based on what will benefit the stock holders and offroad vehicles dont do it for land rover as much as the luxo suvs??
My guess.
The last land rover that was designed by the original CO came out about 3? years ago and from here on out we are looking at ford to give the public an offroad vehicle, which I dont like.
I'd say get an older land rover or convert to a new manufacturer.
I like toyota!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
DesertBound-

I sadly think that you have hit the nail on the head. Ford has taken LR away from its roots and is heading in another direction. With that said, the new LR's are very capable, but would you want to take a $90K vehicle out for some desert pinstriping? I always get a laugh out of the forums when someone post a glimmer of hope about the Defender coming back. There is no way we'll ever see it on these shores again in current form. I think if you really want to go LR, start watching Landy66's thread on the 25 year importation rules and see what he comes up with. That, IMHO, is the way to go.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Sounds like the article is spot on in assessment.

Given the debt position Ford is in. I honestly believe they will need to sell LR in 2-3 years.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I hear ya. I fell in love with Land Rover when I was guiding mountain bike trips in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. We met a guy from Glaskow in a Defender 110. He was right out of an adventure novel and could have been the reincarnation of Joseph Conrad himself.

I bought my first LR this year in the form of a 2002 Disco. It's no defender, but it sure isn't the cream puff Rangy Sport my buddy dodes over and parks at the far end of the mall parking lot as a means of escaping door dings.

I'm sure there are more consumers out there wanting climate controlled drink holders than there are buyers looking for a legendary beast like a Defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier