Change low pressure fuel pump 2017 Fuso FG

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Folks:

Heidi and I need to do a field replacement of the low pressure fuel pump (located above the fuel tank) on Prima Terra II. Heidi is with the truck out in the backcountry and I'm in civilization sourcing a new pump without access to the truck, and when at the truck access to the pump is a bit tight, so I'm looking for anyone experienced the 2012 through 2018 FG low pressure pumps who could answer:

1. The power connections - are the terminals threaded & therefore require removing nuts to remove wiring, or are they a press on style? The drawings I have (see below) label them as "harness connectors" but I don't know what that denotes.

2. The input and output fuel tubes. Are the connections the same style as the fuel filter? The fuel filter connections require pressing a slight "button" perpendicular to the axis of the tube while simultaneously pulling to release the connection. The drawings I have for the low pressure fuel pump don't look like those connectors, but I'm uncertain.

3. If the two bolts that appear to clamp the pump in a circle of sheet metal are loosened, but not removed, will the pump simply slide forward or aft and be free, without removing the overall bracket holding the pump assembly to the frame?

I've attached the drawings I have of the assembly if those help jog anyone's memory.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard L. Snell

Plumb Bob

12mm to remove cover, ring terminals for electrical. Not sure what the quick connectors are called, I suppose you could unscrew the adapter behind them?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.59.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.59.32 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Plumb Bob:

Thanks! Extremely helpful. I really appreciate your effort. Looking at your photo it appears that the "sheet metal" holding the filter body could indeed be loosened but not freed and the pump slid out once all connections removed and the two vertical bolts (not in the photo) loosened but not removed. Is that your impression as well?

I will be working a bit by feel over the top of my large fuel tank so I'd like to avoid trying to get the bolts back in place and get the nuts threaded on them. Lowering or moving the tank is an option, but would significantly increase the difficulty in our field location.

Howard L. Snell

Plumb Bob

yes, two 14 mm bolts pinch the pump inside the tube, it should slid out when loosened. Need a 7 mm box, socket or nut driver to remove the wires from terminals.
A 14 mm would remove the entire assembly from the frame, if need, Nut and bolt , so two wrenches needed.

Looks like it could mount higher up on the frame, in the pre-drilled holes also.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.33.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.33.11 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.33.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.33.03 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.32.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 1.32.55 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Howard70

Adventurer
Those photos are great, thanks again. I'm printing them to take back to the truck with me tomorrow. Managed to order a pump and am having it shipped to a friend's house about 50 miles from the truck. I'll be in our Tacoma with tools etc. to drop or move the tank and 35 gallons of empty NATO cans just in case (of course Prima Terra II's tank was nearly full when pump issue occurred).

I owe you some beers sometime our paths cross.

Howard

dlh62c

Explorer
Sorry I can’t help with the repair, I’d hold the trouble light if I was there.

What happened to lead you to believe the low pressure fuel pump is bad?

Howard70

Adventurer
Pump is easy to hear when it runs and is now silent. It was excessively noisy for a week prior to apparent failure. Several diagnostic codes report fuel pressure is lacking and due to the field situation I'll try the relatively inexpensive option of the low pressure pump first! If it is not the problem then the project becomes one of extraction to the pavement (about 20 miles) which we'll facilitate with our Tacoma (no significant hills) and then on to a Fuso service center for the work (truck is under warranty). Without going into everything, we will do all the due diligence first (confirm filter is clear, confirm power to the low pressure pump, etc.). I should have sought a backup pump when the noise started, but was negligent. Heidi's happy because she's with the truck surrounded by red sandstone cliffs at 6,800 feet with a river 100 ft away in a nice level shady campsite with a full water tank, food and her cameras/art supplies. We were able to tow and winch the truck into that setting before I left. Keep your boss happy!

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer
Truck is young. Our fuel pump problem is an absolute fluke that will soon be history! In my experience with taking vessels & vehicles into even moderately remote situations you occasionally deal with things that would be trivial if you stayed at marinas or on pavement but because you're out of touch you have to invest a bit more effort. Being prepared for that is our job. Ignoring a troublesome noise before heading out is failing at my job. Isn't the first time I've failed and, unfortunately, probably won't be the last. When we get together for those beers remind me to tell you how I burned up the starter on our sailboat 1,300 miles from Isla Santa Cruz. We quickly learned how to anchor under sail....

Isn't this why we call 'em adventures?

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer
Hey All:

Replacement is complete, truck started in 5 seconds after bleeding and drove 176 miles home without a hiccup! Thanks for everyone's help you all made it a lot easier. Will provide more details and some images after a bit of decompression. Basically a one-handed job with some innovative remote management of a 14mm box wrench by Heidi.....

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94