Chaco Culture, Nov. 2010

coax

Adventurer
Seems like its the mid winter duldrums on expo, so here's a few random photo's from a short road trip down through Santa Fe, up to Taos, over to Chaco Culture NHP, up through Durango to Montrose, east to Monarch, and then back north through southpark back to front range Colorado. Went just before Christmas to get out of town and visit a few friends. I had never been out to Chaco since its kinda in the middle of no where, but if you get the chance I highly recommend going!

Snow on I25 into Santa Fe:
DSCF2984.JPG

Snow that night:
Snow.JPG

Somewhere on the road:
DSCF3004.JPG

Only problem encountered on the trip was a frozen ebrake cable after hitting rain on the way to taos:
DSCF2991.JPG

Leaving Pavement on the way to Chaco:
S0023013.JPG

Entering the park, road is paved again:
Chaco.JPG

A few short hikes to some great ruins and art:
DSCF3126.JPG

S0143057.JPG

S0293124.JPG

DSCF3077.JPG

DSCF3080.JPG

DSCF3088.JPG

S0183069.JPG

S0313133.JPG

S0333146.JPG

Campground was pretty well deserted that night, only a few other folks:
DSCF3106.JPG

S0263114.JPG

DSCF3150.JPG

Stopping in silverton on the way through:
S0393171.JPG

Skiing Monarch:
S0403177.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, great pics! Chaco is amazing though I haven't been there in years. You've brought back some great memories. Your lx's color looks great against a desert view!

Richie

Adventurer
Looks like you had a fun trip. I need to make it up to Chaco. I've lived in NM for almost 16 years and I've never been there.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I haven't been to Chaco in years either. Incredible place! Not to be missed. I used to take my wife and kids to ruins all over the 4 Corners in the 90's. Some nice hikes at Chaco to outlying ruins as well in the park. If you are used to seeing small hidden ruins elsewhere then you will be absolutely amazed at the immensity and density of the Chaco ruins. My wife and I need to go there again soon. It's been too long.

DaJudge

Explorer
Looks like you had a fun trip. I need to make it up to Chaco. I've lived in NM for almost 16 years and I've never been there.

You have to correct this grievous error! I have been there several times and will go again! Amazing place!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Chaco is one of my favorite places. Been there several times, and hiked the Pueblo Alto trail in '94.

Thanks for sharing. I need to make another trip out there. Missed it in 2008 due to time constraints.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Im trying to plan a motorcycle trip, either before or after Overland Expo, and this is very high on my list of sights I want to see!! Ive never been to any ruins and am dying to see them in person.

Chaco, Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelly, along with Monument Valley, UT are what Im trying to plan my route around.

THanks for the pics!! Cant wait to see them in person!!

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
There's a good chance I'll get to visit Chaco this summer on a solo trip. Very cool pix! Thanks for inspiring!

beerhiker

Adventurer
Ok, I should go....I see they allow dogs on backcountry trails but not in ruins along Canyon Loop Dr, will I still get to see plenty if I had to skip the Loop?

coax

Adventurer
All the ruins along the paved road are close enough and quick enough you could leave a dog in the car, as long as its not summer. (Though the park website says not to leave them in the car....) Also says you can't have pets in any of the ruins, so you could do some of the hikes but not be able to "explore" any of the sites. Not a big deal IMO, you can still see tons of stuff. Chaco lets you get more up close and into the ruins more than other places I have been.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Chaco is the best, hands down one of my favorite places to visit and explore. One of the last parks you can get up close and personal with the ruins. Plus the story and mystery that surrounds the place makes it the much better. Good photo report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles