Cepek Trail Country Tires?

SARon

I have these in 305/70/16. Great tires on and off road. Airing down to 16psi no problem. Treadlife is fantastic. Smooth highway ride, minimal noise. Looks great black side out. Also been great in snow/ice/cold. I just bought a matching set for my expo trailer and I will buy a new set for the FJ when these are ready. So far I have 15k with plenty life left. Previous tires were KO2's and I could never get more than 25k out of those and frankly didn't feel they lived up to the hype. Highly recommend the Cepek Trail EXP.
1606880499677.png
1606880556507.png

1stDeuce

Explorer
DC tires are indeed made in Cooper plants, and frequently proclaim use of a "cut and chip resistant" compound, which is Cooper's formula as well.

I had a set of FCII's that were good tires, and these look like a slightly milder version of that tread design. I would bet they are a really good all around tire, and SARon seems to confirm this. My experience is that real tires make noise, so expect some "hum-ble" from those large side lugs, but likely less than with a mud tire.

FWIW, I found that I didn't rotate the FCII's often enough, and this resulted in some chopping of the large lugs, primarily on the front, and the chopping significantly increased noise. Once they get chopped, it's very difficult to get them to flatten out, so keep a close eye, and rotate at the first sign of unusual wear, or every 5000miles if you just want to be safe.

FWIW, if you're looking for Cooper made brands, you can also look a Mastercraft and Hercules tires, as well as Mickey Thompson if they are still around. The LT versions of those brands are all made here in the states by Cooper. I've been through DC's, STMaxx's, and now I'm running Mastercraft CXT's. They have all been great tires.

kayadog

Adventurer
These are priced very competitively. You can get the 265/75r16 online for $145. I've seen good reviews but they don't seem very common.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm wondering which company advertises the alternative to this.. :ROFLMAO:
Good point, but the compound Cooper uses does seem to hold up better to a LOT of gravel road use than I've seen with other brands of all terrain tires, which tend to look shredded after a while on the same roads. So it is worth something...

kayadog

Adventurer
Can anyone comment on how these do in winter conditions? They don’t have a lot of siping.

edit— I see that SARon recommends them for snow/ice. Has anyone else used them in the winter?

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Had a set in 315/75r16 on my xterra and they worked fantastic in the snow , reasonably quiet for as aggressive as they are and the lighter weight really helped with mpgs on the freeway .4DFDC8EF-615E-46AD-8422-02A9CD38AA9A.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

FWIW, I found that I didn't rotate the FCII's often enough, and this resulted in some chopping of the large lugs, primarily on the front, and the chopping significantly increased noise. Once they get chopped, it's very difficult to get them to flatten out, so keep a close eye, and rotate at the first sign of unusual wear, or every 5000miles if you just want to be safe.

I have a friend that has the EXP's.

Dunno what he did or didn't do, they howl like a banshee and ride like they are square.

I actually disqualified them from my tire search because of that. His look new, not really old or heavily worn.

And I haven't had great experiance with Cooper tires so that weighed in on it too.

kayadog

Adventurer
Man, the reviews for these tires are all over the place. Some say they are quiet and smooth and balance well while others have trouble balancing them and say they are loud and bad on packed snow.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Tire noise is completely subjective and depends a lot on the vehicle . On a unibody rig even a set of all seasons could sound loud or a rig that comes with less sound denting material. Tires are also a mass produced item and like anything that’s mass produced even a small flaw in production could lead to a lot of bad product .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles