Central Washington wanderings

Railvan

Adventurer
Spent three days last weekend with T.Low wandering around the Winthrop, Twisp, and Banks Lake areas in Central Washington. Great to get away and see some new ground. Didn't make it over the pass on NF-4330 to Lake Chelan due to snow, but had plenty of other roads to explore to keep busy and happy.

Enjoy:

http://www.pbase.com/railvan/centralwa612

Brian

SMBswitchback1web.jpgTominfog2email.jpg2vansunset1email.jpg

Rune

Where is that camping spot?

Can you tell me where that camping spot is, the one that has the evening and foggy morning shot?

My wife and I want to take a trip out that way in a couple of weeks with our E350 Pathfinder and that camping spot looks magnificent! Also, if you had to do the trip in two nights of camping and two days of exploring, what are the highlights you'd hit?

Thanks for the photos and inspiration!

jim65wagon

You got some really nice photos in that set. I like the sunset reflected in the window! Very nice trip. :)

Railvan

Adventurer
Also, if you had to do the trip in two nights of camping and two days of exploring, what are the highlights you'd hit?!

There is a lot to do in that general area. Are you somewhat local or coming from out of state? The drive over Highway 20 has great scenery near the top of the pass. Harts Pass is close and is the highest place you can drive in WA state. Winthrop is a cool little place that is a western themed tourist town. Lake Chelan is nearby and south of the camp spot I marked Road 4330 goes over the ridge to the lake. Just a few things that come to mind if you are new to the area.

Brian

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I remember camping & exploring the roads as a teenager in WA, loved it.

one of my favorite places was going over the pass from Kent to Walla walla, just as you neared the top & before the tunnel, gas station & lake on right there was a st regis/ Weyerhaeuser main logging road on the left.

that road heads north for what seemed to be a 100 miles, many streams & one lake I remember

Rune

Hi Railvan,

Thanks for sharing the location of that amazing looking campsite!

I've been checking out some of your other trip reports for more inspiration, good stuff!

I am local; Seattle.

Rune

Ben Jacked!

Hey Railvan,

Hope I'm not jacking your thread too much.:sombrero:

But I think, with your help, I have a plan for this weekend:

Plan to head out early afternoon Friday with mom, wife and baby girl in tow from Seattle, camp at Colonial Creek Campground. Then head up to one of the Hearts Pass campgrounds for Saturday night. Head home Sunday.

Any comments on the soundness of my plan, from anyone with experience (or not) welcomed.

BTW, I picked up a Mr. Heater Buddy at Cabela's a few weeks ago, and this will be it's inaugural trip. Will report back with results, but expect to have a toasty van!:camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94