Central Coast meet and greet

Blair G

Adventurer
Had a great time. Great people, great food, and great trucks. Weather was a bit on the nippy side like everybody predicted. Had hail and snow for a little while.
To say this was a cool Sycro would be an understatement.
large.jpg

Jeff had a nice truck.
large.jpg

Marcus from Switzerland had his peaceful weekend interrupted. Nice guy Great truck
large.jpg

Checking out some buffalo's on the way home.
large.jpg

More Pictures can be seen at: http://www.pbase.com/brg/expedition_portal&page=all

Blair

Last edited:

jammyauto

Adventurer
Well I mised most of the event as I did not get on the road until about 11 on saturday morning. Instead of doing the smart thing and looking at a map I just went by my gps and used some quardanants that were posted on the list. Well that sent me up cottonwood canyon rd. By the time I got off the 166 it was snowing pretty hard. When I got to the top of the mountain there was about 3" of snow on the ground.
DSCN1643m.JPG
dscn1644m.JPG

I continued on Sierra Madre back to the 166 and then went on the Aliso Camp. I think I rolled in around 6 pm. Almost dark. Had a great time meeting everyone and enjoyed an excellt dinner. Thanks to all, especially Joaquin Sauve for organizing this event.
DSCN1647m.JPG

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Blair G said:
Marcus............
large.jpg

I saw him here in Wyoming last summer and I saw him again in Utah last November. Glad to see he's still out touring.

Nice shots of some fun rigs. The weather isn't what I would have expected from a California party though. :REOutCampFire03:

richard cabesa

Adventurer
jammyauto said:
Well I mised most of the event as I did not get on the road until about 11 on saturday morning. Instead of doing the smart thing and looking at a map I just went by my gps and used some quardanants that were posted on the list. Well that sent me up cottonwood canyon rd. By the time I got off the 166 it was snowing pretty hard. When I got to the top of the mountain there was about 3" of snow on the ground.
DSCN1643m.JPG

Do you work at Machine Arts?

Looks like you all had a good time!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I really enjoyed meeting everyone and we had a great time right up to when Denise & I tried to leave. Blair & cvbill, I'm sorry we missed you.

I need to thank Thanos (sp?) & Tina, Chris & Jack (particularly Jack, a 3 year old's attention span isn't great for this sort of thing and he was Stellar!) for staying to help when the Sub made me "that guy." You know, the guy who has mechanical problems that should have been caught at home.

A little background, the Sub has had an issue with it's pair of Exide Spiral batteries. One tested 12 VDC sitting, but dropped to ~0 under load. Those got replaced with plain old Dura-Last's less than a month ago. Unfortunately that masked a starter that was dying. Among many normal starts since replacing the batteries it gave exactly one warning slow start and one marginal start off the new batteries, which I erroneously interpreted as possible battery wiring issues or possibly being due to sitting while the fridge was running after a short driving (charging) time.

Thinking that it was just a low battery thing (still) Chris tried to give me a jump start. Then when it still wouldn't spin over and I noticed that the volt meter was showing 13 VDC when not cranking & not jumped to Chris's 4Runner I realized that I had a deeper problem. Tried the easy thing first, by-pass the battery selector switch. Didn't work, so out came the starter. Examination of the solenoid contacts really didn't show much wear. The guide pin through the coil core was pretty worn, but the contacts were in surprisingly good shape. Cleaned them up and then opened up the starter's end plate. Which revealed the cause of the problem. The brushes were done!

Perhaps had we been all alone I might have been able to fangle something to make them work, but I doubt it. This design had swing-arms that the brushes were mounted on the ends of. Some of the brushes were worn to the point that the arms were beginning to wear on the commutator. I cleaned them up, reassembled the starter, and installed it hoping for one more start.
It was not to be.
Chris' cell was the only one of 3 that had service in camp (AT&T). I called my friend Cam in Ojai about getting a starter to us. Calls were spotty (stand in the right spot, hold your mouth just right, point your hand in the air like John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever", etc.) and I wasn't sure if he'd gotten all of the particulars, so I tried my friend Matt in Camarillo & got a much more robust connection. Gave him all of the particulars and Cam's number asking if he could coordinate from there. Between them they got it sorted out. Cam, by his odometer, was 70 miles away, over a twisty mountain road with an ~8000' pass on it. He's driven that road for 25-30 years and he told me that he was taking it easy in the many bad spots for ice, but I think he made the trip in something just over an hour - including going to the NAPA (in a different direction) for the starter.

Thanks again to Thanos & Tina for staying when they had a long drive home, and to Chris & Jack for going well beyond the normal protocol of not leaving someone who was stranded. And to Cam for making an epic drive when I know he had other things that needed to be done. I owe some rounds at the next gathering.
:clapsmile

The few pics that I took:
Clouds & dusting on the way in:
IMG_0096.jpg

Casa Azul in the snow. I'm disappointed that it's so dark. On the monitor it was much brighter. oh well......
IMG_0098.jpg

Denise working her Dutch Oven magic with some pasta:
IMG_0097.jpg

This last one is on Qaatal Canyon Road (Most maps & all road signs spell it wrong):
IMG_0101.jpg

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Jackson and I had a blast! Thanks to Joaquin Suave for getting this thing going and for everyone else for making this such a great trip. Jackson had his moments with the cold, but he is still talking about wanting to go camping again so I didn't ruin him.;) He didn't seem to mind the cold when he was throwing snowballs at me when we were up at the top of cottonwood cyn.

It was great meeting and talking to Marcus from Switzerland in the landcruiser. I tried to offer him a straight trade for my 4runner and trailer but he didn't go for it.:D I'm hoping to run into him again when he goes through here on his way up the coast. Jackson had fun playing with Blair's son Ewan and was slightly bummed when they had to leave Saturday after lunch. He's definately looking forward to their next outing together.

Saturday, we had a little flurry of hale around noon so some of us decided to head up to Mcphereson PK. to see if it was snowing up there. Jack and I, Thanos and Tina in their FJC, and Paul and Jeff in the Sportsmobile headed up Cottonwood Cyn to Sierra Madre Rd. It was snowing pretty good when we got to Sierra Madre but not much on the ground yet. We headed up Sierra Madre to McPhereson Pk which is about 5800ft. The storm hadn't really reached there yet, so there wasn't any snow there, but the clouds parted some and we were treated to some fantastic views of the valley and the storm approaching. On the return trip, it snowed pretty good and by the time we got back to the intersection of Cottonwood and Sierra Madre, there was a good 3" of snow and it looked like it was just getting started.(Seth, we must have just missed you heading up Cottonwood cyn.) A little after getting back to camp, it started snowing really good, which was really cool to see.

The food and drink was amazing (I'm bummed I'll have to get in on Jeff's scotch next time). I still have a ton of food left.:chef:

Sunday after packing up, we hung out with Thom and Denise till they were able to get their sub started. It was the least we could do and actually worked out well since we were one of the ones that didn't have a long drive back home and ended up having cell service. Tina and Denise helped keep Jackson occupied and then he ended up just having fun playing in the 4runner (he's a trooper, that's for sure). The trip home was uneventful other than fighting a headwind the whole way. I declare that this trip was a success and can't wait for the next one.:friday:

I took a ton of pics and will get them uploaded sometime today.

Last edited:

Canyonclan

A big thanks to Joaquin Suave for putting this party together and making it happen. I'm still in disbeleif over 'Casa Azul', that rig is so friggin' amazing!

I had a great time, the food was only trumped by the company there! Thanks also to Tina & Thanos (and Spartacus), Denise & Tom, Chris & Jack, Blair & Ewan, Paul, Bill and Seth. Jack and Ewan were super-troopers, putting up with this group in particular and the sub-freezing temps.

Marcus gets my vote for the ExPo 'Member at Large'. I was bummed not to have had more time talking with him. Interesting guy with a very cool Yota!

I'll try and post some images soon...

Cheers,
Jeff

slosurfer

Adventurer
Here's some pics:

Obligatory "get a pic of your rig next to Marcus' rig" pic
IMG_7142.jpg

Jack, Marcus, Blair, and a couple of hoodlums (Jack and Ewan)
IMG_7153.jpg

Just a little lunch! (scotch, wine, apples, cheese, crackers, tri-tip, garlic bread, etc.... so you can just imagine how we were eating for dinner.:eatchicke
IMG_7156.jpg

Beginning of Cottonwood Cyn
IMG_7164.jpg

Intersection of Cottonwood Cyn and Sierra Madre Rd.
IMG_7179.jpg

Starting to snow
IMG_7173.jpg

View from the top of McPhereson Peak
IMG_7183.jpg

slosurfer

Adventurer
For some reason I just like this one:
IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

Started snowing really good on the way down from McPhereson Peak
IMG_7187.jpg

Back at the intersection of Cottonwood cyn and Sierra Madre (quite a bit more snow than there was on the way up)
IMG_7195.jpg

Following Paul down Cottonwood Cyn
IMG_7203.jpg

Cottonwood Cyn Rd.
IMG_7205.jpg

Back down in the valley
IMG_7210.jpg

Cam to the rescue with a new starter.
IMG_7226.jpg

The rest of the photos are here: Central Coast Meet and Greet Photo Album

pismo62

Adventurer
Looks like you guys had a great time. I wish I could have been there, can't wait for the club volleyball to be over. Great pictures! I'll catch you on the next go around. Cheers

Makedonas1

Observer
Hey there just wanted to say Tina, Spartacus, and I had an amazing weekend. Thanks to all who treated us like old friends when we were the NEWBIEs of the group. Jack with his stories and his Tri Tip bonanza, what a great host. Glad to see Tom and Denise finally got on their way. Sorry we couldnt stay longer. Thanks for the tip by the way on Qaatal Canyon road. After the snow, it was nice and muddy. Got to dirty up the FJC just before getting home (an hour earlier I might add and much more scenic than the 101 LA traffic).

Oh and Jeff I agree...Marcus should the "ExPo Member At Large"

Cant wait to do it again. Margaritas in Mexico anyone?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I knew I shoulda gone on this one - that's it, time to get my priorities straightened out and pick one expedition rig so I can stop wrenching and spending and start enjoying the world again!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Thanos (Am I spelling your name correctly?), I wondered if those fresh BFG A/T tracks on Qaatal were yours. I'm glad they were. The upper end was a bit sloppy and the trailer made things interesting at times.
In spite of my starter woes it was a great time & I look forward to the next one.

Thom

Makedonas1

Observer
I think those tracks were Jeffs who had the Sportsmobile because when I went through they were there as well. He left about 8 that morning. Good thing they were there because Tina was freakin out, and if there were no tracks she would have made me turn around and I didnt feel like doing that. I was having too much fun slippin and sliding around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior