Center of gravity.....

KingSlug

Observer
I am just starting to build up my 2a ambulance. I am concerned about the center of gravity, everything is going low because my amby is tippy in its stock form. The 3 fuel tanks and the water tank are going to be at frame level. I really dont want anything on the roof but the RTT is so tempting.

How many of you consider CoG when building your vehicles? I am I too worried about stacking things on top?

Scott Brady

Founder
I think you are on the right track. With putting fuel and water at, or below the frame you are shifting COG down.

Land Rovers are also designed with exceptional side slope stability. I have been in a lifted Range Rover on a LRNA test track at 40 degrees indicated WOW.

Check out this link.

It's a PDF file from Stoptech's tech info section, the effects of CoG on braking are discussed briefly on page 7.

Note that rate of change of velocity, vertical position of the CG, and vehicle mass are all numerator terms, the only thing counteracting transfer of weight to the front axle is the wheelbase.

Similar things happen during cornering. It's a good idea to always keep CG height in the back of your mind, particularly if you travel on the road/highway/in traffic to get to your starting point.

-Sean

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I consider COG pretty important. To the extent that I recently moved my extremeaire compressor and tank between the rear tub wheelwells and the tank between the frame rails (sacrificing some storage space and making the install time consuming). Anything you can proactively do to cut COG with is worthwhile in my opinion. Is the goal of using the ambulance top to facilitate having a camper?

KingSlug

Observer
The ambulance is a camper...

I have already used my ambulance as a camper, just now though I am starting rebuild. Out with the 2.25l and in with a 4BT, out with stock rover axles and in with toy axle shafts and diffs. The series amby is a bit tippy because of the narrow axles, I think the amby is only rated at 30 degrees side angles

The goal was originally to keep the top of the amby as a sleeping platform and a location for setting up the telescope. I am going to mount a awning on the passenger side and 6" PVC pipe with supplies on drivers side. The layout on the top of the amby is a 3.5'X6' sunsheet with cutouts for skylight (used to be rusty vents) with a 1.5' on each side the I have another 3'x8' forward of the sunsheet over the drivers cab. If I could find a RTT light enough I would love to put it over the forward section, because of the size I have even thought about building a custom tent to use on the ground and on top. I already have 1 queen size and 2 single size sleeping areas in the back of the amby cabin.

Are RTTs worth it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles