Cell Booster options

I know nothing about communication equipment but now I'm looking into cell boosters mostly to keep in contact with the wife when I'm out (she doesn't typically join in the adventures). If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Do a search for weboost on here. I bought one and I go from having no signal to multiple bars. Very happy with it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a older Wilson unit in my work truck and it works pretty ok and that's the direction I was thinking about going so this is another vote for that path.

I'm thinking about the system designed for truckers. It looks like the same amp with a bigger antenna hopefully get me a decent signal out on those west Texas trips.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Wilson turned into weboost at some point, not sure the reason. They are by far the best brand out there. Ive owned maybe 7 different units and they are all great.

The black trucker antenna is the best antenna you can get right now, we have dont lot of testing and it can pull the smallest of signals into somthing useable.

As for the model it all depends on what you need. The drive sleek is the best deal for sure but your phone needs to remain in the cradle. Ive got a wireless one in the prius and its decent up to maybe 12" away from the inside antenna. Any farther and it stops helping.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Wilson turned into weboost at some point, not sure the reason. They are by far the best brand out there. Ive owned maybe 7 different units and they are all great.

The black trucker antenna is the best antenna you can get right now, we have dont lot of testing and it can pull the smallest of signals into somthing useable.

As for the model it all depends on what you need. The drive sleek is the best deal for sure but your phone needs to remain in the cradle. Ive got a wireless one in the prius and its decent up to maybe 12" away from the inside antenna. Any farther and it stops helping.
Black trucker antenna? From where?

Where do u get black trucker antenna?

skyfree

Black trucker antenna? From where?

Where do u get black trucker antenna?

I believe CaliMobber is talking about this: https://www.weboost.com/products/304415

It is only for Weboost products and is included with the Sleek OTR and 4G-X OTR boosters.

I remember reading a blog post about someone using this Destination RV one for remote working where they needed the very best:

It's about 20X the boost of their best mobile unit, the Drive Reach (65db vs 50db), but you need to set up a stationary antenna and know where to point it.

I'm thinking about going with the Drive Reach for cars one which has a more modest antenna, and maybe get the "black trucker" antenna for when I'm stationary: https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks for this thread. We are strongly considering the Destination RV one to allow us to work remotely.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I wonder why they disco'd the trucker antenna? I bet it has something to do with 5G or some such reason...

SBSYNCRO

I strongly encourage anyone looking at these kits to also look at the options from Nextivity. I have the Cel-Fi Go M and it blows the doors off the Weboost that a friend of mine has in his vehicle. Granted, my setup cost about 2x what his did ($1300 versus $700) BUT, it has the following advantages:

1. Can switch between "mobile" and "base station" modes. In Base Station mode, it can boost up to 100 db (versus 50 db for the WeBoost). Thats about 100k times the signal amplification, if I am not mistaken.

2. In "mobile" mode the Cel-Fi is able to boost 65db (versus 50 db for the WeBoost). This is because the Cel-Fi is dedicated to a single carrier and thus is authorized for higher amplification. I think the 15db difference equates to about 32x the amplification versus the WeBoost.

3. The phone app is excellent. It gives you all the info you need to diagnose issues or fine-tune performance

4. Weatherized - you can mount the amp outdoors in weather or on the exterior of a vehicle - its rated for that.

In my setup, I have the amp plus two donor antennas (an RFI CDQ7195 for the vehicle and a Yagi directional for in camp) and two different inside antennas - the usual little stick-on type for inside the vehicle (glued to the roofline immediately above the rear view mirror) and a dome-type antenna for hanging in camp. With this setup, I can be on the road traveling with the RFI omnidirectional antenna grabbing signal and passing it to my phone on the dash mount with a 65db boost. Then when I get to camp, I unplug the amp, move it to my camp trailer, stand up a 25' telescoping pole with the Yagi pointed at the nearest tower, and then I hang the dome antenna under my awning. With this setup I can work effectively on my laptop with decent Internet when no one else can even get a signal.

The downside is that my setup will ONLY work with AT&T. Whereas WeBoost will work across carriers. But I only have an AT&T phone, so it works for me.

BTW, cell boosters are not the end-all, be-all for connectivity. There are times when a MIMO hotspot and a directional MIMO antenna can produce better results. I'm in the process of evaluating some options for that and plan to add that to my remote connectivity solution within the next few months.

IMG_5811.jpeg

64348477312__38D1F531-8CCA-4B4B-ABEA-3A93F8C1BE34.jpeg

4Roamer

We Boost is cool, my friend has one. However, we do get into places where there is no service, you can't boost it if it's not there. I am planning on a Garmin InReach before next season. If texting can cover your needs, that may be an option. The one big drawback is, We Boost is buy once, cry once vs the subscription plan for the InReach. You can pause the subs to make it a bit better.

SBSYNCRO

Back to the original question posted by the OP: " I'm looking into cell boosters mostly to keep in contact with the wife when I'm out (she doesn't typically join in the adventures)"

OP, you may be pre-supposing the solution to your issue. If you want to be able to provide updates and location information via quick text messages, then I agree with the comments above regarding the Garmin InReach products. I've used an Inreach SE+ for about 10 years (pre-Garmin) and it still goes with me on every trip. I know that no matter where I am, I will be able to provide location updates and general check-ins. If this is your only requirement, and you are willing to pay the monthly fees in exchange for much more reliable communications, then this is the way I'd recommend going. IF on the other hand you need voice and you're Ok with it only being available when there is a vestige of a signal, then a booster (like the Cel-Fi or Weboost) is a good choice. If you want remote data connectivity (where there is some vestige of a signal) a MIMO compatible hotspot and dedicated line is often the best option.

alia176

Explorer
I'm curious if Weboost copy cats from Amazon are useful and if anyone owns one. You get what you pay for surely applies here but I'm willing to gamble with an unit that someone personally has had decent luck with. Thx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles