CE Winches

jh504

Explorer
Hey folks, I have a brand new Chicago Electric 8000 lb winch I bought off of a kid for a steal. I wasnt too sure about the quality but I was in 4wheelparts the other day and noticed the Milemarker winches. One of them was just like my CE winch. Everything was the same, the only thing different was the stickers. Does anyone know if the same folks are making both winches and just slapping different name brands on them? Is CE buying the winches from Milemarker? Or maybe the other way around?

lcsodiver

Adventurer
I believe they are from the same manufacturer. I have the 8000lb that I got for my pickup, it held up great, and pulled every time I needed it to.... that said watch the solenoid box.... mine had one of the VERY thin control wires abrade through the insulation and stop working. Luckily I checked it before I needed it again and got it rewired with extra abrasion (wire split-loom) on the trouble spot. Now I run a Warn and have the CE for a rear bumper when I get around to building it.

Bob

Hey folks, I have a brand new Chicago Electric 8000 lb winch I bought off of a kid for a steal. I wasnt too sure about the quality but I was in 4wheelparts the other day and noticed the Milemarker winches. One of them was just like my CE winch. Everything was the same, the only thing different was the stickers. Does anyone know if the same folks are making both winches and just slapping different name brands on them? Is CE buying the winches from Milemarker? Or maybe the other way around?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
yup. same-o

I prefer CE winches due to the lower price. both times I used mine when it was mounted on my wrangler, it pulled like a champ.

For a seldom used, but important piece of equipment I think the CE setup is a very smart choice.

jh504

Explorer
I have never run with a winch in the past so I dont anticipate using it too much. It is a last resort if you ask me.
I figured they were the same because there was literally not a screw different in the two. I have heard good things about the newer Milemarker winches so I think I will give this one a chance. Im not rock crawling professionally so I think you are right.

Monstero

Adventurer
I have a 9000lb milemarker (same as CE) and have used it extensively......more so to recover other people and then also to get me off the trail in 2wd when I break an axle or such. It has performed FLAWLESSLY. Just rebuilt the wear items inside(2 poly bushings on drum) and repacked new grease. My only complaint is the line speed...but thats a minor issue imo.

m_tav

Observer
i have a 100000 lbs ce winch. never had any problem with it. i was reading article in 4x4 mag. and they did a test of all the big name brand winches. 10 winches entered the test and and only two made it through ce winch and some name i have never heard of

ryguy

Adventurer
i have a 100000 lbs ce winch. never had any problem with it. i was reading article in 4x4 mag. and they did a test of all the big name brand winches. 10 winches entered the test and and only two made it through ce winch and some name i have never heard of
Now thats a strong winch

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader

Which magazine and issue is this in?

jh504

Explorer
Now thats a strong winch
:xxrotflma

Just dont let the terrorist get a hold of it! You could pull down the WTC with that thing!

Seriously though, thanks for all of the feedback guys. Knowing that I essentially have an undercover Milemarker gives me much more confidence in its ability.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader

I didn't know they had one hundred thousand pound winches! Maybe the cranes for loading shipping containers onto barges have them? How much does one of those cost? :sombrero:

4xdog

Explorer
Winches can get *real* big. Kinda hard to haul around, but here's a link for a 440 000 lb (199 583 kg) winch. There are numerous suppliers, and they get bigger than this!

http://www.team-twg.com/en/products/gearing/winches-hoists/planetary-winches-hoists/lwd4400.htm
lwd4400.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader

I've read that one before but from what m_tav describes that's not the one. That article, in my opinion isn't exactly flattering to CE for potential long term prospects and does reinforce the fact that you're better off going with a name brand if you're serious about using a winch.

I can't decide if it's good for the CE or bad for the MM that they are same less the badging. I'm still interested in reading the article that m-tav mentioned. Anyone else know where I can see it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles