CDT Alpine Tunnel - St Elmo, Colorado 8.7.21 and 9.26.21

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
This trip took place over two different times once on 8.7.21 and a return trip on 9.26.21 to mountain bike the a small portion of the Colorado Divide Trail on the Alpine Tunnel loop (18 miles) outside of St Elmo, Colorado. The trip on 8.7.21 took place during wildfire season and the sky was filled with smoke making mountain biking a little more difficult since I had a hard time breathing with the smoke (I don't regret going at all even with the smoke ?). The 2nd trip took place towards the end of September on 9.26.21 when the sky was much clear and the leaves had started changing colors and include a side trip down to west portal of the Alpine Tunnel which I skipped on the first trip due to the smoke. I had the trip to myself for the most part both times minus a hiker or two towards the end.

From 8.7.21

Hancock townsite - whats left of it.

Old rail grade

Hike a bike section

East side of the tunnel.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Photos from the 9.26.21 trip with much clearer skies.

Hancock area again.

Looking at the west portal area again before descending down.

West side of the tunnel.

The tunnel is back that ways along with the trail backup to the ridgeline.

The old telegraph station that you can still go into and where they have historical information mounted on the wall of the area.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I’ve driven much of the 4x4 trails there but never tried to ride it. Now that I’m riding an eMTB I’d like to give it a try. I live on the west slope so reasonable access to those same areas. If you ever want company up there send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I’ve driven much of the 4x4 trails there but never tried to ride it. Now that I’m riding an eMTB I’d like to give it a try. I live on the west slope so reasonable access to those same areas. If you ever want company up there send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep that in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles