CDL = comm. drivers' licence

Well, I successfully passed my Class B CDL driving test and have the licence. Has anyone gone to Australia in a heavy (>7500kg) vehicle and found it necessary?

Charlie

CharlieV

Adventurer
Congratulations, now get to work on getting your A! "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"-Unknown wise man.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I've got the B also. the best thing, really, would be to use it for a job. Go drive a truck for an established company for a year. You will learn more about driving a large truck than you can possibly imagine.

By the way, the number one accident for a typical RV (in my understanding) is smashing the rear end into over hangs. People do not pay attention to the off tracking on their vehicle, so what ever you do end up driving with that CDL, pay attention to that off-tracking. :)

nargun

Adventurer
Has anyone gone to Australia in a heavy (>7500kg) vehicle and found it necessary?

Charlie

A broad oversight of licences in Australia

http://www.australianexplorer.com/australian_drivers_licensing.htm

Each state has different laws

In the state that I live in (Victoria), car licence covers up to vehicles to 4500 kg. Depends on your length of stay and the visa on which you enter as to whether you need a Victorian licence for an extended stays.

Google the licensing authorities in each of the states that you intend to travel to to determine the laws applicable in each state. If need be email the relevant state bodies for more information specific to your plans.

I've got the B also. the best thing, really, would be to use it for a job. Go drive a truck for an established company for a year. You will learn more about driving a large truck than you can possibly imagine.

By

Umm.... I don't think that's going to happen. I have 3.5 years/34K miles experience driving the thing, and I'd take a "slight" pay cut.
I got a CDL to keep Australian Customs and Motor Vehicle Dept people happy with an IDP marked "Trucks > 7500kg", not to change occupations.

Charlie

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Umm.... I don't think that's going to happen. I have 3.5 years/34K miles experience driving the thing, and I'd take a "slight" pay cut.
I got a CDL to keep Australian Customs and Motor Vehicle Dept people happy with an IDP marked "Trucks > 7500kg", not to change occupations.

Charlie

Yeah, I have seen your unicat, now that I have seen some more of your posts... (thanks for posting that link by the way) Any rate... I got mine because upon graduation from my Undergrad I wanted a fun ski bum job, and driving the bus was the best paying job on the mountian.

With the short wheel base of your mog I doubt you have very much off tracking in that thing at all, so I am sure it is not that much of a concern.

You have mentioned going to Aus several times, when do you plan on that happening?

Brian

kerry

Expedition Leader
I was in the preliminary stages of setting up a motorhome exchange with an Australian a few years ago. I've got a Wanderlodge and he had a similar sized Mitsubishi motorhome. After a lot of investigation, we determined that in order to drive his vehicle in Australia, I had to have a CDL in the USA. Even though my US license authorized me to drive the Wanderlodge in the USA, it wouldn't permit operation of a vehicle that size in Australia.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I also have a Class A fully loaded,There is nothing I am not allowed to drive. Why because that is what is required of my job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles