CCV astro van!!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
This has to be some kind of record. The client dropped of a bone stock Astro van on tues the 4th at 9am and I delivered it today the 9th. Who says 18hr days don't pay off!!
Anyway here are some shots of it.
First thing is first you wack the roof off!
IMG_1590.jpg

mock up a few cabinets and new rear seats
IMG_1597.jpg

Fab up some lifting hardware
IMG_1589.jpg

paint a top
IMG_1594.jpg

headliner lights and canvas
IMG_8659.jpg

new rear seats and some cabinets
IMG_8665.jpg

Cabinet, sink, stove, and cooler drawer
IMG_8667.jpg

Kablamo one finished rock climber astro
IMG_8653.jpg

happy owners and one exhausted builder
IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

r_w

Adventurer
The new baby of the family. Isn't it cute!!!

Something looks odd with those lift arms. Is it the camera angle, my eyes, or did you do a single-side lift?

ETA: When did you let the paint dry????

dsw4x4

Adventurer
The paint actually got to dry overnight and we left it alone for a full 24 hours while working on other stuff. The lift is a different design I have not been totally happy with the old designs for several reasons. They all seem to work but not as perfect as i would like for them to. Yes this one is a single side lift to leave the passenger side open for a slide out bed (which this van did not get). I am finding most people want to load down the tops of their vans especially astro vans so the lifts need to be bullet proof and be able to pick up an extra 200 pounds of equipment like racks skis bikes and solar panel. I think it is crazy to have to unload your equipment to use the bed. These new tops I can sit on them and raise them up at the same time using the remote control they are that sturdy.
Derek

jrueppel

Adventurer
Wow nice work! And quick too. I know a few more Rock Climbers on the west coast who would be psyched for this set up.

sambot

Observer
Just saw them this morning

Cool. I saw this thread last night, then this morning on my ride to work, there they are, with the top up camping by the curb.:Wow1:
Nice work.
Sam

Railvan

Adventurer
If you don't mind me asking, did you start with a top from a "conversion van" like this?:

http://tinyurl.com/3wug5u3

I have thought that finding an AWD van with a top like this on it already would save money. If you can convert the top to a pop top, and convert the AWD to 4x4, you're set!

Very nice conversion inside and out, btw. I love it!

woofslc

We are the proud owners

Of this sweet van! We thoroughly enjoyed working with Derek at Colorado Camper van, he and his nephew worked their butts off to get our van done so we could go on with our trip through Colorado. We worked closely on ideas for the layout and Derek was super helpful and enthusiastic and willing to try anything, and work through any little challenges that came up. We absolutely LOVE our van and couldn't be happier.

We are rock climbers and we travel constantly, both weekend trips, and longer road trips.

We used to have a Flip Pac on a Tacoma, and it was a POS...we lived in it for a year and the mattress didn't survive one month in East Coast weather...you constantly have to fold it up while it's damp...the $300 rain fly was a joke, and we ended up with a $20 tarp...eventually the hinge/crank broke while we were on a trip, which resulted in me getting a ladder and three people to heave it open and shut night after night, since the company couldn't get the part for several weeks and they were not super helpful.

I can already tell our van design will be bomber, and we won't have any problems like that with this, as Derek is committed to stellar workmanship and customer service. He builds each van one at a time for the people that will be using it and what they want out of it.

We explored other companies when we were looking at doing our Astro, and none of them were as helpful and reasonable as Derek, which made it a no brainer to go out to him in Colorado.

For anyone looking to do a van like this or something similar, we are happy to recommend Colorado Camper Van.

Here is the full set, including some wider angle shots of the bed and interior for anyone that was curious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dzinelvrslc/sets/72157627893403314/with/6244356135/

Hopefully this project will give people ideas for their vans and if you are thinking of popping the top, talk to Derek!

Enjoy!

Melissa and Adam

dsw4x4

Adventurer
You guys are to nice!! Thanks for the kind words! Good luck in your travels and happy climbing.
Thanks again.
Derek

Railvan to be short yes it is a top like that. To be long these tops are made from my own molds that have been tweaked a bit to be more friendly towards being a pop top. However you can build a pop top out of any conversion van top with some hard work and a lot of ingenuity and a ton of brain and research time. If you want more insight on it get a hold of me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz