CB Radio Opion

UNI

Adventurer
Installing tomorrow a Cobra 29 WX NW ST Radio, does anyone else use this radio and what do you think?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I have it. It's a great radio. The NOAA alert is something I really wanted. I like that even when it is turned off, as long as it still has power connected to it and the weather channel selector is set to the right channel, it will emit a tone when it receives any weather emergency alert.

That being said, there is an upside and downside to that function other than the obvious. This emergency alert is ideal if you are in a campsite or outside the vehicle in a wash basin or something, and a storm alert comes across that you would not normally catch with a parked vehicle and cb turned off. I'm thinking that storm cell that flashflooded that AR campsite recently and killed all those campers, or the tornadoe that came throught the boy scout campsite and killed a few kids.

The downside is that the tone is unexpected and REALLY, REALLY LOUD. The first time it went off on me, I almost drove off the road. No kidding. Since then, now that I know what the tone sounds like, every time it goes off it still puts me in a temporary panic. God help me the first time it goes off with my family in the car. There is no volume control for the tone, unfortunately.

The method to control that, when you know you have no concerns over weather (like a heat advisory, or the emergency update every 10 minutes that happens with fast moving cells) is to switch to an invalid weather channel for your area. Just switch back when you want an update.

I do wish the CB was a bit smaller as well.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have it and like it. Reports are that it broadcasts clearly and it seems to have pretty good range in the open. I use a Wilson flex antenna. Bought as a package from Right Channel Radio who offers great customer support.

dzzz

I wish they would make an expensive version of this:

75WXST.png

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I like mine. I had originally had it on the passenger side of the tranny hump but could not hear it and did not want to hassle with a plug in speaker. after doing this it is perfect.
_DSC0008.jpg

UNI

Adventurer
Overlander Posted: This emergency alert is ideal if you are in a campsite or outside.

On the radio, on the back side (End) it has a ext. PA jack. I picked up a external speaker that I'm going to mount some where under the hood of the Jeep. The Cobra instructions say you can hear the CB through the PA jack. I have two additional speakers that I will be running (Inside the Jeep) to the ext. speaker jack on the radio.

Has any one hooked up a ext. outside speaker on their CB?

I think it would be a great idea, especially when your waiting for someone to meet up with you at base camp or like Overlander posted for storm alerts.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Not really a CB radio nut after I switched to ham, but I must say the wx75 is a great radio for limited space say on jeeps. It performs great I love the weather ch functions a must while offroading. And yes I do have one for trail comm as well as ham. Great little radio and would recommend as one to look at.

http://store.valueweb.com/buyreliant.com/catalog/c75wxst.jpg

Last edited:

Warhead

Adventurer
Not really a CB radio nut after I switched to ham, but I must say the wx75 is a great radio for limited space say on jeeps. It performs great I love the weather ch functions a must while offroading. And yes I do have one for trail comm as well as ham. Great little radio and would recommend as one to look at.

+1 on the wx75
I have a 29wx nw st and it is big for a jeep, looking to replace it with the wx75 & an external speaker

UNI

Adventurer
Well I finally took some pics of the CB install last weekend at the Outdoor Days event.

CIMG3453.JPG

CIMG3463.JPG

CIMG3454.JPG

angusdevil

Adventurer
On the radio, on the back side (End) it has a ext. PA jack. I picked up a external speaker that I'm going to mount some where under the hood of the Jeep. The Cobra instructions say you can hear the CB through the PA jack. I have two additional speakers that I will be running (Inside the Jeep) to the ext. speaker jack on the radio.

Has any one hooked up a ext. outside speaker on their CB?

I think it would be a great idea, especially when your waiting for someone to meet up with you at base camp or like Overlander posted for storm alerts.

Ya it works but its not the loudest. Nothing like a bull horn or a police-style PA thats going to be 30-100w. I believe the external is still only 3-5w so its really only useful within 100' if the vehicle is off. If you run a noisy diesel, don't even bother mounting it as you couldn't even order in the drive through with it. :sombrero:

With the storm alerts, its actually pretty handy as the tone will get your attention and from there, move in closer to catch the details.

UNI

Adventurer
Angusdevil Posted: With the storm alerts, its actually pretty handy as the tone will get your attention and from there, move in closer to catch the details.

Angusdevil,

That's exactly why I want the outside speaker/horn, if in the middle of the night there is a flash flood alert or tornado, I want to know about it.

With the outside speaker, is the alert tone loud enough to wake you up?

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior