CB Radio install in a 2500 Dodge

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I haven't used a CB radio in over 30 years. But every once in a while I'm with a group of folks and they do use CB to communicate on the trail. So I did some research and picked up a Cobra 75WXST compact, "All In The Handset" CB unit from Amazon.com. I also ordered a 4' FireStik II CB antenna and a stainless steel trunk lip mount.

The Cobra 75WXST is extremely highly rated by all the internet CB forums and seems to be the "GoTo" unit for jeep folks.

41720d1301329386-fs-cobra-75wxst-cb-radio-toyota-oem-light-switch-img_0991.jpg

The Cobra unit comes in two pieces. The handset and the underdash connection unit.

First I needed to mount the antennas. Since I carry a pickup truck camper, I needed to mount the antenna somewhere up front. The stainless steel hood/truck mount bracket was not the correct profile, so I used my welding torch to heat it up and reconfigure it. It then easily mounted under an existing bolt under the hood and on the left fender.

P1040226-vi.jpg

I then connected the coax cable to the antenna. I purchased an 18' cable and you should not cut the cable. If there is any extra simply loosely stuff it up under the dash. Do not wrap it in a nice neat ball. This will creat a "choke" and negatively affect performance.

P1040227-vi.jpg

P1040215-vi.jpg

P1040216-vi.jpg

The remote module was simply wire-tied under the dash and connected to a 12V + and - feed.

The handset was mounted to the included clip on the dash.

P1040221-vi.jpg

You simply can't have enough "Farkles" on your dash!

All the while I was doing this install, this wild goose hung around and kept tapping me on the legs while I worked! (Easter dinner is coming! He better be have!)

P1040225-vi.jpg

Oh, I also ordered an SWR meter when I ordered the CB Radio. You must match the antenna to the radio if you expect to get great transmit and receive performance. Very inexpensive meter and easy to use.

swr_meter_003.jpg

Saratoga

Adventurer
Looks a good setup ; ) and if it does whst you want and how you want it then so be it.

Did your two legged freind want feeding ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles