CB Question

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Have been looking at a CB for my truck and camper for a couple of years, Never bought one as it wasn't a priority. The other day a neighbor came over with a couple 2 way radios and two marine radios to give to my kids. I mentioned that if he had a CB that I would take it (it is spring cleaning time). Well he had 6 CB's and various antenna. I picked a nice Realistic 40 channel and a couple antenna and yesterday he tossed over the fence a SWR tuner to go with it.

Now the question. Both antenna are magnetic bases, one is a 18" (metal magnetic)and the other is a 36" (magnetic but the base is plastic covered), I chose the 36" yesterday and put it on the cab of the truck - but as I carry a camper I would like to move the antenna to the roof of the camper as right now it leans forward and looks strange. Problem is the camper is fiberglass. Thought that I could glue a metal plate to the roof of the camper to mount the antenna to then run a cable to the truck to ground the plate. Would this work?

I do not want to invest a lot into it, so buying a different antenna isn't going to happen, would like to use what I have.

Thanks for any ideas.

KA5IVR

Observer
If the metal is big enough it should, but the reality is short little CB antennas like that don't work very well for 11 meters. IMO, you would better off putting the longer one on the Hood of your truck.

Photomike

If the metal is big enough it should, but the reality is short little CB antennas like that don't work very well for 11 meters. IMO, you would better off putting the longer one on the Hood of your truck.

Thought of that as well but my hood has a major slope to it (unless I put it in the middle) and it leans on an angle outward when I do that.

KA5IVR

Observer
Some sort of mount and antenna on the front bumper might be a good option. Very common in Australia, but not in the USA for some reason.

Photomike

That is a good idea. I had someone else suggest that I get a piece of metal and make a 90 degree bend in it and screw it to the inside of the fender to give me a flat surface to mount it to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke