CB Antenna - Where + how to mount it...?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Looking for ideas from you guys who have CB antennas (antennae...) mounting on your Montero's.

Would like to see your photos and what you used to mount them.

Also, how well do your mounts work?

I know, ideally, the antenna should be mounted on top of your truck in the middle of the roof. But I know some people mount them near the back of the truck, off the spare wheel carrier, etc. Would love to know how mounting the antenna that far back affects the antenna's range/signal strength.

Thanks!

ExploringNH

Explorer
99% of people here in the Northeast mount their antennas on either the rear bumper, tire carrier, or rear hatch (various vehicles and setups). They all work well. I've always had mine mounted to the rear bumper of my vehicles. Tune the SWR and you will do well. Most issues with CB range and quality come from grounding and wiring issues.

For the Montero you could look into the Firestik MK-204R mount. This would mount probably right above your tail light, between the light and rear hatch.
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/MK-204R.htm

Not a Montero but this is what it ends up looking like:
20120815_192323.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
I've mine on a mag mount right at the back. It stays on through most stuff,but if a heavy branch is dragging along my roof it will peel it off. The spoiler may be helping to keep it on though.

Any excuse to post a pic I guess!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mines mounted to my roof rack. The antenna wire runs from the front of the rig, back through the passenger compartment (under carpet mats) and out through the top of the hinge side of the rear door, and up to the antenna mount/mast.

The antenna itself is mounted directly to my roof rack floor bars. The floor bars are 72x1x1 t-slot extruded aluminum bars. I simply used 1/4-20 stainless steel t-bolts to bolt the antenna mount to the racks floor bars.

Here's a pic of the floor bar so you get an idea of what I mean about using a t-bolt with it...
image.jpg

Last edited:

VanHans

I used a FireStik door jam mount with a FireRing cable, an HD spring and a 4' FireStik II. Mounted between the rear pillar and the hatch just above the top hinge.

DSCN2443.JPG

Link in my sig has a few more pictures.

jlocster

Explorer
Wires come out of a boat bulkhead pass through from West Marine.
WP_20140208_001.jpg

SWR is not nearly as good as when I had the antenna up here, but having an antenna in my line of sight didn't work for me.
IMG_20130329_153151.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94