Cautionary Tale for Montero Owners Who Need To SMOG Their Car

SD_Montero

Observer
My monitors never set either and I passed smog no problem. I think the most important factor is where you go .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Amazingly passed on the first try yesterday with my 2003, with 3.8L.
I had just had new plugs, wires, seals and gaskets installed along with a new solenoid for the flutter valve (I think that is what it was) at C&A in Van Nuys! Love that place. They know every inch of a Mitsubishi! He did a free inspection and called me telling me exactly what needed fixed. Price was better than fair. I could not believe it and quickly told him to get it done. Work was fast and correct. When I came to pick it up he had a box of all the old used parts which he described in detail and why each one was bad. I drove an hour to his shop and it was worth it. The place is an old school dumpy looking shop but Tye is super knowledgeable. He told me it would pass smog because he said my engine was now perfect and did not need any repair and he was right. BIG SHOUT out for C&A in Van Nuys.

macdrew77

Just in case anyone was wondering, now the Vehicles of Interest for 1996-1999 is under Section F now:
96-97 Should be able to be smogged without any of the monitors complete. 98-99 out of luck, only 1 monitor allowed to be incomplete.

mike5

Adventurer
Just in case anyone was wondering, now the Vehicles of Interest for 1996-1999 is under Section F now:
96-97 Should be able to be smogged without any of the monitors complete. 98-99 out of luck, only 1 monitor allowed to be incomplete.
Nice link, thank you.

Long time since I've posted here. If you guys are ever bored, look up CARB requirements for heavy duty vehicles (they all have to go to zero emissions). If I've read correctly CARB is supposed to maintain a list of vehicle types for which there's no ZEV alternative (think of a CAT loader for instance). But list hasn't been published although regulation went into effect 1/1/24.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles