Cast iron griddle

madmax718

Explorer
I almost bought a griddle, but decided not to for a variety of reasons.

1. Its grease channel isn't that large. 1 lb of thick cut bacon will get it loaded up pretty good.
2. Cleaning- It is a large slab of cast iron. Splatter.
3. Storage- It is very sizable, though the thinness makes it more storable.

Regular cast iron is better in this way- You can nestle them (especially if you carry two sizes). You can add in a griddle pan for almost no space and just a few lbs. And you can easily pour off excess oil during the cooking, easier to clean and store.

Honu

lost on the mainland
ditto the partner :)

my cast iron griddle is long retired now because of this

not to mention easier to clean and never have to worry about anything with it

dfinn

Adventurer
I picked up the Lodge cast iron griddle this weekend before heading out on a camping trip. It fits perfectly on top of our 2 burner Coleman 425, almost like it was made for it.

Pros:
- maximize cooking space by using entire stove
- cast iron is awesome, don't have to baby it and clean up is easy
- it's slim size takes up little space in our camp box, definitely easier to pack than a frying pan

Cons:
- when cooking something like a stir fry it's hard to keep stuff from flying everywhere. if only the sides were just a tad higher but then I suppose it would detract from how little space it takes up
- you can't cook a quick meal on it and then pack it up, it retains it's heat for a while and needs to cool off

mjohns2

Observer
I picked up the Lodge cast iron griddle this weekend before heading out on a camping trip. It fits perfectly on top of our 2 burner Coleman 425, almost like it was made for it....

What size did you and and do you have a link you can share? I have the Coleman 425 and having been playing with the idea of getting an iron griddle.

madmax718

Explorer
the brush with handle and plastic food scraper are worth it. That brush works great, and the plastic scraper has just the right spacing to get the stuck bits in the grill lines off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94