Cassette Toilets

david506th

Adventurer
Does anyone have a magic dealer that they are getting their cassette toilets from? I am coming up short in the USA to get one.

David

ripperj

Explorer
I ordered mine from Hanna Rv via the Web, $540, Bill Penney at Truck Camper Warehouse NH told me he could have done better, but it was too late. Hanna beat the other local dealers by a couple hundred

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

ripperj

Explorer
You will probably be asked left or right hand, it appears you can swap the side that the cassette comes out from by just swapping two removable plates in the cassette compartment, so it's really just a matter of which side the flush handle is on.
I'm referring to a C402C

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
No harm in trying, but I'd be pretty amazed if Darrin still does that sort of thing. The webpage is from 2004 and the last camper RUF built is going on a decade old.

There is a problem with many European things Dometic distributes (Seitz windows, Heki hatches, Thetford cassette toilets, Truma boilers, etc.) in that they don't seem to let let their U.S. dealers handle these items. I don't know why. I originally thought that it was stuff that could get screwed up in installation, but they sell air conditioners where you cut a big hole in your roof, so that's not it. It mostly seems like they decided that the Euro stuff is not meant for us. But this is over-the-counter stuff in Europe. Indeed, with the Euro not too expensive these days, picking out a dealer in the UK and seeing if they'll ship it to you is one approach. Another is to see if Eurocampers in Missouri will buy the parts for you and arrange shipping. They used to do that--that's how I came up with a replacement Seitz window and a Nautic Junior water heater I needed.--but don't know if they still do.

It may be that you can find a US manufacturer that uses them that would sell you a "replacement." I'm not sure if this is an okay thing for them to do, or whether Dometic threatens them with "NO TOILETS FOR YOU!" if they try to help you out. I think there must be some prohibition, or there'd be at least one place willing to make money on the mail orders.

Perhaps someone else can respond with more helpful information but, regardless, please let us know what you end up doing.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I purchased mine here: http://damsu.co.uk/ With shipping and customs it was still $400 cheaper than any price I was quoted in the states. Thetford is made in Michigan but they are impossible to deal with; they will not sell direct or send you to a competent dealer. Most dealers here don't even know what a cassette toilet is. The dealers in SoCal I spoke with seemed to think that if they didn't know what it was, it must be very expensive and priced accordingly ($1200.00+).:Wow1:

catmandu

Observer
I purchased mine from Darrin about four months ago. Quick and easy. Just have to tell him the model and which side you want the cassette to be removed.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I purchased mine from Darrin about four months ago. Quick and easy. Just have to tell him the model and which side you want the cassette to be removed.
Well, stone the crows. Darrin and I used to be close friends but lost track of each other a few years back. He'd never spoken very highly of his cows, so I'd have expected him to have left the ranch by now. I'm glad to know RUF is still a going concern.

Anyway, if anyone buys from him, tell him Mike says "Hi" and remind him it's his turn to come visit. :sombrero:

pdx2ptg

I bought mine through the service department of Camping World in Portland, OR for just under $800 inc shipping. They ordered it from Thetford and like others just asked if I wanted L or R and wether I wanted one with a holding tank or directly plumbed to the water supply line.

I'm hoping to have mine installed later this month.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm pleased to learn that I didn't know what I'm talking about. It's starting to sound like the situation has improved enough to have multiple U.S. sources.

I don't need a toilet, but next time I go past that Camping World, I'll make an inquiry about getting some of the other stuff. In another current Portal thread we've been talking about getting Seitz-type windows from Europe and China. It'd obviously be worth knowing if there's been some change in Dometic's heart that now makes them readily available here.

The issue of why a cassette toilet should cost six or seven times what the functionally-equivalent and very nice Thetford Curve potti costs shall be deferred. :sombrero:

dlh62c

Explorer
Haven't you guys been keeping up with the current trend?

Cassette Toilets are out, Composting Toilets are in!

Dumping does appear to be problematic though;

MogTug is considering making the switch from a cassette toilet to a composting one.

The short version;

Toilet

"We knew for this build we wanted to have a toilet on board, but we also ruled out having a black tank, both for space concerns, and for facility concerns on the road. That left us with the cassette toilet option. We ended up with a Thetford 92360 Curve Potti. Its the latest from Thetford, with power flush and a generous 5 Gallon capacity. You can check it out here. The long and short of it, is that the toilet works, but we haven't liked it. The actual comfort and useability of the toilet are great. The problem is that we don't use it frequently enough, The problem if you use it infrequently is that the waste matter breaks down in the toilet and it off-gasses. That gas pressurizies the holding tank, and when you go to use it, you have to both be careful to not open the valve too quickly to avoid getting a face full of poo. Also, you have to deal with a horrible blast of smelly methane rich gas. It's really bad. One option is to try and create some type of vent to the outside and connect that to the holding tank and hope you don't get any spillage or leaking of contents. The other option is to just get in the habit of periodically venting the toilet even when not in use. This is one item we are looking to change out in our build. When possible, we use facilities at restaurants, gas stations, etc. So we only use our facilities when we HAVE to. This makes us the perfect canidates for a composting toilet, which can go a long time between dumps and use. We will post a new post when we have made a decision. For now we are making due with the thetford and just venting it every other day or so."

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
This must be the only product thats cheaper in Australia than the rest of the world!

Don't forget the 30% discount you get when you buy Australian stuff with the US dollar.
Sadly, we get to add 40% to anything we buy from the US at the moment. Sigh....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94