Cassette Toilet with 2" Thick Walls???

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Anyone running a cassette toilet in a total composites box with 2" walls?

Researching ALL toilet options for my build out.

I travel solo, and it will see minimal use, but i am so far leaning towards a Thetford cassette. But still looking at composting...

Question is, all the Thetford (and other brands) access doors state for an up to 1.5" wall thickness.

I have a TC box on order with 2" walls.

Is this something easily adaptable to 2in walls?

Its oddly difficult to find videos or photos of how they actually install and what that thickness is dictating...

Thanks

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Most cassette toilet installs use a door frame that is surface mounted, and not with a trim ring, so wall thickness is not important.

What is important is that the door frames are designed to use a bit of the wall cutout, and this is where the max thickness is an issue.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Most cassette toilet installs use a door frame that is surface mounted, and not with a trim ring, so wall thickness is not important.

What is important is that the door frames are designed to use a bit of the wall cutout, and this is where the max thickness is an issue.

Thanks. Thats it?

So simply shaving down the wall thickness for the door portion would be sufficient?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Two short answers:

-- Had a cassette toilet with the access hole through a Total Composites panel. No problems.
-- Tore out the cassette toilet because it is a pain, smells, etc, etc,

Access door is still there, next to my C-Head composting toilet.

So, save yourself some money and work and install your choice of composting toilet right up front. Really.

(Then you can spend your energy routing the vent. ;) )

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Two short answers:

-- Had a cassette toilet with the access hole through a Total Composites panel. No problems.
-- Tore out the cassette toilet because it is a pain, smells, etc, etc,

Access door is still there, next to my C-Head composting toilet.

So, save yourself some money and work and install your choice of composting toilet right up front. Really.

(Then you can spend your energy routing the vent. ;)

Thank you for the input! I have used cassettes in the past with decent enough results. I've yet to see a setup with a compositing toilet in person, but i am still trying to!

Thanks

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Where are you? Come try it out! :)

We had a Nature's Head in our Tiger and when we bought the XP we thought that we would simply keep the cassette. We quickly learned:

-- You had to dump about every three days and the last day or so there was a strong odor whenever the flap was open.

-- Dumping into a regular toilet was convenient, but the gagging smell meant that we would never dare do it at a rest stop. And even in a friend's house, you wanted a strong exhaust fan and everyone socially distant.

-- Did I mention that you have to do this every three days?

We were frankly surprised. We did buy a SOG in UK but it turned out to be the wrong model for our cassette. Our bath/toilet space was extremely small, so we went with a C-Head, which just fit. In the end, we love it. We dump once a week, but the removable bucket is much easier than the Nature's Head. We bought their special urine tank which has the advantage of not broadcasting what it is or contains. Very easy to dump in any public toilet.

More here: https://diplostrat.net/2019/06/16/why-we-love-the-loneliest-road-or-back-on-route-50-again/

As always, YMMV, but I have never met anyone who has any model of composting toilet, who has ever considered replacing it with a cassette or black tank.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Bit of a hike! Check out the Nature's Head and C-Head websites. As thousands of electrons die horrible deaths on the Internet on this subject, both sites have much more information and many links.

Thanks! I am looking at the AirHead too which also seems like a great option, and has features that would make it more suitable to use in a wet bath

tanuki.himself

Hey All

Anyone running a cassette toilet in a total composites box with 2" walls?

Researching ALL toilet options for my build out.

I travel solo, and it will see minimal use, but i am so far leaning towards a Thetford cassette. But still looking at composting...

Question is, all the Thetford (and other brands) access doors state for an up to 1.5" wall thickness.

I have a TC box on order with 2" walls.

Is this something easily adaptable to 2in walls?

Its oddly difficult to find videos or photos of how they actually install and what that thickness is dictating...

Thanks

I've just fitted thetford cassette and gas locker doors to a fibregless/foam shell and i think they will work for you with no hassles - my walls are only 34mm but the outer fixings for the frame and door will work and look fine without the inner trim rings - they screw directly into the panels rather than trying to clamp to the inner trim ring.

i opted for the Thetford c402 toilet as its a good side to side fit for my wet room with no nooks and crannies to trap dirt and whatever. The cassette has a vent mechanism that is open into the base of the toilet whenever the cassette is installed, and i am just rigging up a SOG-like fan and charcoal filter assembly now to sit below that and pull the air through and out through the floor. Thetford themselves do sell a fan assembly but i wasnt able to find any more details on them, and i happened to have an 80mm PC fan and some spare fibreglass kicking around, so thought i would give it a go. i can post some photos when its finished....

Florida Native

If you are looking at a cassette and will hardly use it, just get a porta-potti. The range topping Thetford Curve with electric flush is very close to a cassette in comfort of use and a lot easier to work into your floorplan.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles