Casper & Outono - 2x 1998 Discovery 1 Builds

YetiX

Funny, I was just "building" a Grenadier yesterday. I went with a base model with the lockers and a few other additions (ladder and roof rack come to mind). I also chose the green because holy crap it looks beautiful. On the screen at least, haven't seen one in person in green. If I didn't have so much effort and money sunk into my Colorado it would sure be tempting....

Outono

Funny, I was just "building" a Grenadier yesterday. I went with a base model with the lockers and a few other additions (ladder and roof rack come to mind). I also chose the green because holy crap it looks beautiful. On the screen at least, haven't seen one in person in green. If I didn't have so much effort and money sunk into my Colorado it would sure be tempting....
The green with white top is awesome! I wish it had the Disco 1 green though...

IMG_6056.jpeg

JackW

Explorer
I really liked the light blue when I test drove them at an off road park north of Atlanta last year - but the green with a white roof would be hard to resist. I have three friends with Grenadiers and another one is due to be delivered next month and they all love them.
I really like my 2020 Defender 110 P300 and I won't be pried away from my old Defender 90 Tdi but I was tempted by the Grenadier as well. I had a 1971 Porsche 911 that was about this color back in the early 1980's so it resonated with me.

blue grenadier.jpg

Reactions: 454

Outono

I really liked the light blue when I test drove them at an off road park north of Atlanta last year - but the green with a white roof would be hard to resist. I have three friends with Grenadiers and another one is due to be delivered next month and they all love them.
I really like my 2020 Defender 110 P300 and I won't be pried away from my old Defender 90 Tdi but I was tempted by the Grenadier as well. I had a 1971 Porsche 911 that was about this color back in the early 1980's so it resonated with me.

View attachment 823191
It's funny you mention the Porsche because that was my very first comment when I saw the color! Gemini Blue, I believe.

The new Defenders are so nice, but what did it for me with the Grenadier was the more utilitarian design. I do with the Gren had some of the interior refinement of the Defender though...

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
The interior refinement of the 110 is what really keeps me from having a Grenadier on order right now. As we were driving home in my 110 from the demo ride both my passenger and I were thinking that it seemed a bit unrefined in comparison and being the grumpy old men that we are we were both wondering if we would be willing to spend that kind of money for a step down in comfort and refinement. My P300 has rubber floor mats, leather seats and all of the off road stuff - I have added rock sliders and BFG All Terrain tires but it's a superb daily driver and long road trip car. It reminds me a lot of my old LR3 and it's proven to be very, very good off road.

I remember being a bit disappointed with the rear cargo area and the exhaust hump.in the passenger floor (would it have killed them to design a special exhaust manifold that directed the pipe away from the passenger floor instead of using the stock BMW part?).

I do think it's a really cool vehicle and look forward to sharing some trails with them._X0I3943.jpg

Outono

My favorite Discovery 1 color is Caprice Blue, which was probably one of the rarest to come to the states. At first I thought i'd wrap or paint the truck that color, but at this stage I highly doubt that's going to happen. So instead, I think im going to add accents to get the vibe.

To kick that off, I picked up some particularly loud turquoise Maxtrax to mount to the rack. I think it adds a bit of pizzazz.

IMG_6088.JPEG

IMG_6090.JPEG

IMG_6092.JPEG

I used the Maxtrax flat rack mount, which turned out to be just perfect due to the numerous mounting locations and included hardware. The large channel nuts act as anchors on the underside of the rack flooring so the only thing I needed to make this work was longer bolts.

IMG_6096.JPEG

I still need to fix my brakes. The proportioning valve is leaking a little worse and the braking is nowhere near as good as it had been. Also very close to fitting the headliner; just deciding if there is anything left to do on the ceiling since everything is removed...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior