Cascadia or Arb

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
I know there's more on the market but these two or with in driving distance to pick up. I really don't care to spend alot on shipping. So whats the comparison.

CIFA22

I just bought a Cascadia after looking at the Cascadia at the Puyallup Sportsman show at the end of Jan. I've also looked at the ARB Simpson. From what I can tell they are identical. In fact both the ARB and the Cascadia are made in the same factory. Call Bobby at Cascadia and he can tell you more. He's a great guy with excellent information. I found him to be honest and he takes care of his customers.

My roof rack should be here later this week (DiamondRax) and I intend to mount the tent to my FJ40 at that time. I also bought the Annex for the Cascadia, now my wife is anxious to get the accompanying awning!! Where does it end!! My wife and I settled on the Mt. Shasta model as it has the covered ladder which ultimately gives you a larger Annex area.

I'm assuming your back in country and at Ft. Lewis....... and if your interested in seeing it up close PM me here in a week or so and we can make arrangements for an up close inspection.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Not back yet will be end of next month. Just shopping around for now. Would love to check yours out when I get back.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Same as ARB?

The Cascadia Mt Shasta edition tent is 'very similar' to the old ARB tent which was designated the Simpson II, it was replaced several years ago (spring 2009) by the ARB Simpson III, which received several major design and materials upgrades. Along the way the SIII has received a couple of additional changes, I refer to the most recent rendition as the SIIIB or SIII.5. Don't get me wrong, the Simpson II (Cascadia Mt Shasta) style is a great model, I spend dozens of nights in mine, but to be fair it is really a very different tent. To confirm, The Cascadia Mt Shasta, Camel 4x4 Ironman Tent, Tepui Autana and others are all the same design as the old ARB Simpson II. Maybe when the Simpson IV comes out they will have a Simpson III styled tent ;)

You can view the differences in the ARB Simpson II and ARB Simpson III here:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/cruiser-out...tlight-new-arb-simpson-iii-roof-top-tent.html

Figure I might as well toss this here too, I wrote this article to help potential buyers decide if a RTT is for them:
Is a Roof Top Tent for me? The RTT Conundrum

CIFA22

Nicely presented Kurt. Thanks for the links and pointing out the differences. I appreciate your experience and follow a lot of your counsel on the MUD forum.

NIVEK_TURK, PM me when you get back and you can take a look at my rig. I would definately encourage you to look at the ARB III as well as the Hannibal and Ezee Awn.

My decision came down to cost, reliability, function and how much time I would be spending in it. My first preference would have been the Ezee Awn or Hannibal but couldn't see spending that kind of money when I'd only be using it 20-30 nights a year. I also have a Springbar tent which gets used a lot as well (it's also an incredible tent - 27years and counting), and how often we use that played a role in ultimately buying the Cascadia. IN my mind I'm thinking that we'll be selling or giving our Springbar to our kids and using this full time.

While waiting for our DiamondRax roof rack we've opened our RTT in our family room. I've inspected it thoroughly and am satisfied with the build quality. As to how well it will hold up in the Pacific NW rain.....that remains to be seen. I inspected 2 tents that Bobby had at the last Sportsman show that have seen their share of rain and snow (they were on display on a customer's rig) and they had consistently passed the test with flying colors.

We'll be going out to the coast here in a few weeks and am sure we'll experience some rain. I'll post up the results once we've tested her out.
Thank you also for your service in behalf of our country NIVEK_TURK. Lots of military service in our family.

Semper fi....
Ken
(DUKE on MUD)

I bought the ARB, but it's still in the box, review to follow. A couple things I noticed when shopping for a rtt to use in the Northwet were taped seams, and a coated rainfly, the ARB has both. I did not see this on the Cascadia tent.

DarthBeaver

Adventurer
I have the CVT Mt. Batchelor (CT-101). Got it last summer. I love it. was in a highwind storm, hail, rain, snow and this winter camped in the AZ desert. So far no issues. Owner was great to work with and I am pleased with the purchase. I did not consider the ARB or the Eze-Awn due to cost. but with the price range of the CVT it was an easy purchase decision. I have no regrets. It mounts on both my Land Rover and my trailer, so I can use it expo-style or as a base-camp.

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Thanx for the replys on the subject. I will most likely be going with the cvt shasta. The cost is right where iam willing to spend. I have also been leaning toward a slide in camper, but the useage out weighs that decision. We probaly would only be camping out mainly in the summer months and pcs moves. It's just gonna take alot of convincing on the wifes part. She's really not the camping type but I'am hopeing to change that.

CIFA22

My wife was a MAJOR concern for me as well. After spending some time with her showing her some of the online videos (youtube) of what was entailed and going through a variety of websites that demonstrated it's ease of setup, roomy-ness and comfort (ordered an aerobed http://www.airmattressesbeds.com/IVG2/N/ProductID-159044.htm) for the inside.

She got excited and wanted to see one up close. We went to various trade shows in Idaho, Utah and Canada. This didn't happen overnight, we looked for about 2 years. In the end we made the final decision when she crawled into the CVT. If she doesn't like camping, it will take time. If she's comfortable, she'll grow to love it quickly.

Bring her over to check ours out and let my wife talk to her. She was a sceptic at first, especially considering the cost but in the end feels it is a worthwhile investment when compared to a motor home or hotel costs etc.

Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior