Cars of Tahiti...

smlobx

Wanderer
Just saw this thread..
We were there about 27 years go and never forgot the friendliness of the people.
The Belvedere restaurant on the top of the mountain with one of the big ships setting sail at sunset was epic.
The Gaugan museum was interesting and the picture I took from the shore there looking back to Papeete has an amazing number of blue shades in the water. I have counted 17 different shades...

I hope to go back some day and perhaps up to the Marquesas...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Soooo we just booked a 10 day trip back to Tahiti for our 1 year anniv. I am beyond excited to actually be able to travel and not stuck in my house all day every day. Traveling to Tahit opens up July 16. We got out flights refundable in case COVID fires up again.

Still deciding what islands and where we want to stay but the flight is booked!

Oh, and it was $1500 for both of us round trip.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Soooo we just booked a 10 day trip back to Tahiti for our 1 year anniv. I am beyond excited to actually be able to travel and not stuck in my house all day every day. Traveling to Tahit opens up July 16. We got out flights refundable in case COVID fires up again.

Still deciding what islands and where we want to stay but the flight is booked!

Oh, and it was $1500 for both of us round trip.

Nice - we were just talking about it, we want to go back this year. The Marriott we stayed at last time at Bora Bora (Le Meridien) is now closed for renovations, which means it would be hard to use our points and status. The second option (the St-Regis) is way more expensive.

That may be irrelevant anyway as I think we will want to go check out other islands. Check the 'island hopping' pass from Air Tahiti Nui.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice - we were just talking about it, we want to go back this year. The Marriott we stayed at last time at Bora Bora (Le Meridien) is now close for renovations, which means it would be hard to use our points and status. The second option (the St-Regis) is way more expensive.

That may be irrelevant anyway as I think we will want to go check out other islands. Check the 'island hopping' pass from Air Tahiti Nui.
Thanks for the island hopping pass.

The day we got back we opened a marriott bon voy credit card and have put every single penny on that card so we have a large amount of points. We stayed at St. Regis for our honeymoon...Absolutely amazing.

Since it's an hour +/- flight time, I am researching the atolls like Tikehau and Rangiroa but will probably have to settle for St. Regis again since Meridien is closed- Darn.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Just got back from our trip! We ended up doing Le Taha'a for 5 nights and then 3 nights at the Hilton in Moorea. Such an absolutely fantastic place I cant wait to go back again.

Le Taha'a didnt have many vehicles on it- lots of old vespas and scooters. Saw many ranger raptors in Papeete along with some 2020 Suzuki Jimmys and Land Rovers/Defenders of all years and models EVERYWHERE.

Also, had the best chinese food I have ever had at a place called "Restaurant Ocean" right across from the Papeete airport entrance.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Just got back from our trip! We ended up doing Le Taha'a for 5 nights and then 3 nights at the Hilton in Moorea. Such an absolutely fantastic place I cant wait to go back again.

Le Taha'a didnt have many vehicles on it- lots of old vespas and scooters. Saw many ranger raptors in Papeete along with some 2020 Suzuki Jimmys and Land Rovers/Defenders of all years and models EVERYWHERE.

Also, had the best chinese food I have ever had at a place called "Restaurant Ocean" right across from the Papeete airport entrance.

ha I know this restaurant - we had our last meal there. I can't wait to go back. My friend got his sailing license so we are planning to go back and rent a sail boat next time.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Too bad you fellas don't surf...
The waves in French Poly. are top shelf!
My wife and I have been there several times...we have a buddy who married a local back (on Moorea) in the '80's and now runs an eco-tour business...whale and spinner dolphin tours.
The wheelin' ain't half bad, but still doesn't hold a candle to the western USA, IMHO.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles