Carrying Tools...Cutting Down Noise?

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
For smaller stuff, you can make a small tool container by cutting the tops off 2 oil bottles, then nest them together. Keeps sharp stuff from wearing thru fabrics or canvas and is quiet. I use this mainly for small tools, extra nuts bolts, jb weld, wire etc. I learned this from taking week long moto camp trips. Surprisingly you can fit a lot of gear in one of these.

rapovt

I have one of the Blue Ridge Overland Bags. They are the best! I tried rolls and bags and this works the best yet. I asked them if they might make a long narrow bag for long items

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Like said, use tool rolls.

Or, layer your toolbox with rags. Thats what I did before I found a tool roll/have a tool that is too big. Rattling and noises like that drive me insane.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We tend to like Tool Rolls and canvas gear bags.....but, we're a little bias..good luck with whatever solution you go with.

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 21

Lucky j

Explorer
Many of the things up here make a lot of sense.

One of them is to reduce and combine. Many metric and standard size are so close that you do not need to carry both. And that goes for wrench and sockets. Quick example. 7/16 - 11mm, 1/2 - 13 mm, 3/4 - 19mm. Ther are other, and if you do this with all type, you will carry less and they can all be organized in the same bag or roll. All wrench from smallest to largest, same with sockets.

Oh yeah, quick tip, philipps screw drivers, hammer, vissgrip and others plier are also the same standars and metric ;). Just kidding of course. Lol

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Many of the things up here make a lot of sense.

One of them is to reduce and combine. Many metric and standard size are so close that you do not need to carry both. And that goes for wrench and sockets. Quick example. 7/16 - 11mm, 1/2 - 13 mm, 3/4 - 19mm. Ther are other, and if you do this with all type, you will carry less and they can all be organized in the same bag or roll. All wrench from smallest to largest, same with sockets.

Oh yeah, quick tip, philipps screw drivers, hammer, vissgrip and others plier are also the same standars and metric ;). Just kidding of course. Lol

Excellent points.

Another great summer project to reduce what you carry is to pull all your hand tools onto the driveway (adult beverage optional) and touch every fastener on your rig. You'll find out what you need for your rig versus everyone else's. It been our experience you won't need the 200 piece mechanics set, but closer to about 15% - 20%. This builds confidence in your trail kit, reduces weight, bulk and identifies those really weird fasteners that you have to purchase a SST. It also leaves room for the mechanics wire, duct tape, goops, misc fasteners and hose clamps.Good luck and have fun !

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We carry approx 20 hand tools (not including individual sockets) for our off-road camper. The camper is already heavy, so I'm really cautious about everything that goes in it. This is the size of our kit and it fits under the driver's seat.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 23
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 21

Corneilius

Adventurer
^^Is that a Tiger? Sick rig. Great advice too, one of my favorite things about my last truck was that I owned it for so long I learned what size EVERY fastener was and only carried what I needed.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
^^Is that a Tiger? Sick rig. Great advice too, one of my favorite things about my last truck was that I owned it for so long I learned what size EVERY fastener was and only carried what I needed.

Yes. It's a 1995 Provan Tiger on a Chevy K2500 4wd chassis. We completely gutted it to the frame and restored and upgraded it. It's been a great rig and we have a ton of trips and events planned for it. Thanks!

devo 1

Adventurer
I keep some of my tools on the back doors. I used an old wire shelf with master mccarr rubber coated straps for the back plate. I got lucky and molle clips fit it.
hkvJcCR.jpg

dar395

Adventurer
I pack the various categories of tools into old socks and then put them in the toolbox. Makes a huge difference. If you use white socks you can use a sharpie to label them.

This is a great idea, as I was a bit broke down this past year I could have used the socks as hand protection and cleaning rags as well as easy handling of the tools! Great information and winter project.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
This is a great idea, as I was a bit broke down this past year I could have used the socks as hand protection and cleaning rags as well as easy handling of the tools! Great information and winter project.

Glad you like the idea. I drove a $300 truck half way around the world. I am all about the cheap and easy solutions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dar395

Adventurer
Glad you like the idea. I drove a $300 truck half way around the world. I am all about the cheap and easy solutions. :)

Ray I could almost one up ya I drove $100 Buick for over 80k, I'm still driving just a $1,911 van over the hills and through the woods for my expo vehicle beating the crap out of it and enjoying the trip!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ray I could almost one up ya I drove $100 Buick for over 80k, I'm still driving just a $1,911 van over the hills and through the woods for my expo vehicle beating the crap out of it and enjoying the trip!

Perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94