Carrying extra gasoline with Outback and teardrop

Markal

Hey all. We travel with an Outback XT and a “squaredrop” trailer (see pic). Not exactly overlanding but we do get off the beaten path regularly. We get less than 20 mpg with the trailer in tow, shrinking our range to around 260 mi or so.
For an upcoming trip to Utah I’d like to carry and extra 5 gal of gasoline, just as backup (that’ll get me to the nearest town if I’m running low). What are the best options?
I don’t want to use a hitch carrier on the back of the trailer because that seems risky for a host of reasons.
Can I strap down a rotopax type can to the tongue a-frame on the trailer? Or strap it down to the top of the toolbox on the tongue (I have the available tongue weight capacity).
Or should i add a roof rack to the car or trailer?
Appreciate any advice you all can give.

74DF3CA8-E8DB-433D-9D45-AA82EEFD6451.jpeg

Laps

I carry a Wavian fuel container, but there are alternatives to the Jerry can and especially better options than Rotopax. There was a thread recently regarding fuel bladders, titled: Giant Loop Armadillo bag utility review. You might check that out as a possible option.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Avoid bags they definitely don’t handle road vibration vs chafing like a hard container.
if you don’t need it very often? Just a hard can mounted on the roof rack of the car would be fine. If your OB was/is anything like mine you avoid adding weight behind the rear tires especially for ground clearance with trailer tongue weight.
My 2.5 typically ran 19mpg ish when in less draggy trailer mode ie no bikes sticking up. Guessing the XT with the turbo is in the 18-16mpg range with your setup?
I switched to my 2019 Expedition and to my surprise same trailer setup with bikes same trip I have done with OB, I averaged 21mpg with the Expedition. I was pretty shocked and very pleased.

Markal

Avoid bags they definitely don’t handle road vibration vs chafing like a hard container.
if you don’t need it very often? Just a hard can mounted on the roof rack of the car would be fine. If your OB was/is anything like mine you avoid adding weight behind the rear tires especially for ground clearance with trailer tongue weight.
My 2.5 typically ran 19mpg ish when in less draggy trailer mode ie no bikes sticking up. Guessing the XT with the turbo is in the 18-16mpg range with your setup?
I switched to my 2019 Expedition and to my surprise same trailer setup with bikes same trip I have done with OB, I averaged 21mpg with the Expedition. I was pretty shocked and very pleased.
I don’t yet have a roof basket or deck so that’s why I’m thinking about transporting it in the trailer tongue. Good advice about the bladders.

jmmaxus

There are mounts for Wavian and other standard jerry cans. I’ve seen Rotopax mounted to both sides of a tongue box before as well. If your not concerned about tongue weight then the rotopax on tongue box would work. Gasoline is around 6 pounds a gallon plus the container and mount. It looks like you have a propane tank mounted on the side, I’m guessing that is likely to a stud so you could mount it their or on the opposite side same location probably a stud there. Also, you could mount it to the fenders if they are strong enough to hold the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don’t yet have a roof basket or deck so that’s why I’m thinking about transporting it in the trailer tongue. Good advice about the bladders.
Bags started being a thing in 2000 ish. Ocean racing yachts started experimenting with them. Today they are actually banned ie not accepted as a water storage device for required water by many race organizations.
The sailboat I raced was a veteran of long ocean races we had all hard tanks. But many in our fleet tried the soft sided bags. All of them failed between day 6 and day 8. That race that yr 2200 miles was longer than usual due to light trade wind conditions. We finished first on day 17. Typically that boat was good for 11-13 days. Has done that race 15 times!!
The dirt and vibration of a land lubber vehicle is far worse than a racing sail boat?

billiebob

Roof racks seem the best choice. I'd go 3, 2.5 gallon plastic cans. Way easier to handle and lower profile. line them up 3 deep, front to back. All you need is a frame, let them sit on the roof for a lower profle. Maybe add a wedge front and rear to reduce the drag. But put them on the car roof.... easier to drop the trailer and go refill them.

Last edited:

The_Squid

If you’re staying on roads between towns, the best option is to stop for gas more often. Seems unnecessary to lug a jerry can around for cruising on the pavement.

I don’t see the risk in a carrier on the back of the trailer, but it would be a pain having to move it all the time.

If you still think it’s necessary, then a roof rack on the car would seem the best option to me. You can just leave it up there and forget about it until needed.

MiamiC70

Hey all. We travel with an Outback XT and a “squaredrop” trailer (see pic). Not exactly overlanding but we do get off the beaten path regularly. We get less than 20 mpg with the trailer in tow, shrinking our range to around 260 mi or so.
For an upcoming trip to Utah I’d like to carry and extra 5 gal of gasoline, just as backup (that’ll get me to the nearest town if I’m running low). What are the best options?
I don’t want to use a hitch carrier on the back of the trailer because that seems risky for a host of reasons.
Can I strap down a rotopax type can to the tongue a-frame on the trailer? Or strap it down to the top of the toolbox on the tongue (I have the available tongue weight capacity).
Or should i add a roof rack to the car or trailer?
Appreciate any advice you all can give.

View attachment 738845

Attachments

• 1C56B5E6-8993-46BE-AC45-8752F36C68E5.jpeg
    1C56B5E6-8993-46BE-AC45-8752F36C68E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

TwinStick

Explorer

You might want to check out aviation grade fuel bags. They use them a lot in Alaskan bush planes, where lives literally depend upon the quality of their gear. I'm thinking that they must be pretty durable because they don't use stuff that doesn't work.

I have gone totally away from traditional crappy plastic gas cans because of my experience with high failure rates and the difficulty of filling up vehicles with them. I have since gone totally to the VP style of fuel jugs for motorsports. Absolutely no regrets. They are durable, they don't leak, I don't spill gas anymore and they are able to fill any vehicle without a funnel or spillage. I love them, and they just work with no drama. I have them for gas (red), yellow (diesel), and opaque for DEF Fluid. They have been great.

dstefan

Curious what this is based on? And what bags are you aware of that have failed? Ive been using the Giant Loop Armadillo bag and have been super impressed with it. But, it hasn’t been over a long time, nor do I strap it over hard wear points, rather I carry it in my Trasharoo. For functionality, ease of use and zero spillage I have never used anything better. Have you had one go south on you?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles