Carrying an extra five gallons of gas with my Jeep TJ

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've been wanting a swing-away spare tire carrier for my Jeep so I can later convert the tailgate to a drop-down tailgate. I also wanted the ability to carry extra fuel for expedition travels outside the Jeep. So I had a place called Dirtworx build me a rear bumper to my specs. It also included a 2" receiver hitch (so I can pull my little trailer), and D-ring mounts. I've been very pleased with it. It is extremely solid, and was extremely reasonably priced (and I looked at all my options).
-
It comes bare metal, so you do have to prime and paint it. The only issue I had, was the swing-away spare tire carrier swung out further than the tailgate did, so I had to extend the trailer's tongue a few inches for it to clear the trailer (definitely not a fault of the new bumper set-up). Seems like there's always a domino effect - unexpected consequences when trying to upgrade your vehicle.
-
Bottom two pictures show the trailer tongue before-and-after the tongue extension.
-
dirtworx.36.jpgdirtworx.40.jpg
dirtworx.42.jpgdirtworx.44.jpg
tongue.3.jpgtongue.29.jpg

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Very nice. Did you contact them directly or were you able to spec out your bumper from their web site?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Very nice. Did you contact them directly or were you able to spec out your bumper from their web site?

Thanks. We emailed back and forth a couple times. He was very easy to deal with, and we were just tweaking a design he already had in place. I actually did a more thorough write-up on the JeepForum http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/new-dirtworx-rear-bumper-4168282/ if you're really interested. It took a couple weeks to arrive which I was told of in advance.
-
Believe me, I know all-too-well the limited amount of storage with a Jeep TJ (that's also why I have a trailer too). I even removed the rear seat, brackets, and seatbelts just to get a little more storage room back there (it helped). And I looked at what I'd like to think were all the options out there for swing-away spare tire carriers with Jerry can holders (or other fuel cells containers). Either they sell swing-away spare tire carriers with no provisions for Jerry cans (from cheap to expensive), or they're very expensive if they do have a provision for carrying more fuel. Or they mount two cans on the swing-away part, and then the spare tire in front of that (which I didn't want - but Dirtworx does offer). I just wanted the spare tire offset to the side with a single Jerry can on the driver's side (just like the old WWII jeeps had mounted on the tailgate). You can buy a cheap (price and quality) rear bumper with a swing out spare tire holder with no fuel can provisions for the same price as I paid for this Dirtworx bumper. If you're looking to carry more gas in your TJ, this is one option to consider.
-
I probably should have given a link to Dirtworx: http://www.thedirtworx.com/
-
And I've gotta say it: I have no financial interest or connection in any way shape-or-form to Dirtworx before-or-after this other than he built me a bumper to my specs and I paid full price for it just like anyone else ($400 plus $75 shipping bare metal). I've had it for a little while now and am very happy with it.

dirtworx.34.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94