Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe, Durango, and White Rim Trail

aires35

Adventurer
***Scroll down if you are only interested in White Rim Trail***

My department at work consists of me and one other guy. Last summer, a month out from a trip to go to Colorado and do Imogene Pass and other trails, the other guy in my department fell from a tower. He broke several ribs and sustained various other injuries. Vacation had to be cancelled.

Fast forward to September. My wife works for the local school district where my kids attend as well. She let me know that they all would have the entire week of Thanksgiving off. I've always wanted to do White Rim Trail in Utah, but with the kids and her only having summers off and temperatures during that same time of year in Utah not being very hospitable to camping... I could never talk them into it. Upon learning of their full week off, and having vacation time left from the aforementioned cancellation, and it being November and all, I suggested Utah. We all agreed to go, with a couple of stipulations.
1. No straight shot there.
2. Roswell (my son)
3. Santa Fe (my wife)
4. Snow (my daughter)

So... here's (finally!) how it all went down...

We left Houston, TX on Saturday morning around 4am and stopped off in Austin to get some camera lenses from my sister-in-law (Thanks Amy!!!). We then proceeded west on 290 to I-10 west towards Whites City, NM. We stopped for lunch at a rest stop and ate lunch and let the kids use chalk to leave their mark...
IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

AAAGGGHHHH!!!! Daughter's at the age of boys

IMG_0092.JPG

We passed by Fort Stockton, TX and I had to take pic of the posse that my friend Darren and I passed on the way to Overland Expo. The picture came out much better this time with the zoom lens from my sister-in-law (thanks again Amy!).

IMG_0093.JPG

Once we got past Fort Stockton, TX, we kept west on I-10 until Pecos, TX, then headed north on 285 into New Mexico...

(I guess people really hate this sign, I hate to say it but seemed as most holes came from the direction of Texas)
IMG_0097.JPG

After entering New Mexico, we kept on 285N until we turned at Black River Rd going west again. A quick jog south after that on 62, and we were at our campsite in Whites City. Deer went through the campsite while we were setting up, and our not so old tent came apart from the winds were the stake tabs stick out.

IMG_0102.JPG

The next morning (Sunday) we got up around 6am, packed up and grabbed a quick breakfast before heading up (then down and into) Carlsbad Caverns. If you ever get out that way, don't miss it. Truly beautiful. The pictures make it look bright in the caverns but it's not.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:

aires35

Adventurer
After touring the caverns we headed north on 62 into Roswell, NM, for my son to make his stop at what else...
IMG_2621.JPG

He made some new friends...

IMG_2626.JPG

Then we headed north to Cochiti Lake and our campsite for the next two nights while the wife got to have her part of the trip in Santa Fe...

(Camping at Cochiti Lake was really nice we were only ones there, if you go though, request site in one of the newer sections.)
IMG_0273.JPG

Santa Fe has something for everyone...

(...for the wife...)
IMG_0230.JPG
(...and for me!)
IMG_0239.JPG

We left Santa Fe, and headed north to Durango, CO via 84/64 and west on 160...

IMG_0291.JPG

Stayed in Durango in hotel (Durango Lodge) and ate tacos and shopped. We headed out in the morning around 6am to go north to Purgatory to give the kids the chance to see and play in real snow...

IMG_0327.JPG

... then headed back down south to Durango and west out to Utah.

Continued...

aires35

Adventurer
We traveled west on 160, jogged NW on 184. While on 184 we stopped to stretch our legs at the Anasazi Heritage Center http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ahc.html. If you get the chance stop here, take the short hike to the top. The views are worth it!

IMG_0396.JPG

Once done stretching our legs we headed out again on 184 then turned onto 491. We traveled for what seemed like forever on 491 and then...

IMG_0416.JPG

... continued some more on 491 until Monticello, then headed north on 191 into Moab. After a quick stop and refuel in Moab we kept north until the turnoff for Island In The Sky, Canyonlands. Stopped at the ranger station to register for our permits and secure our campgrounds for the two nights we were to be on the trail.

IMG_0435.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:

aires35

Adventurer
White Rim Trail

OK so now we are FINALLY on the White Rim Trail!
We started off on the Shafer Trail side...

IMG_0449.JPG

and promptly came across of couple of guys in a rental Jeep. after a little coaxing and me driving my Tundra halfway up the side of the canyon, they got up the nerve to pass by.

we camped at Shafer campsite for the first night...

IMG_0492.JPG

and proceeded on the next morning back up Shafer Trail (Potash?) to White Rim Trail.

Stopped off at Gooseneck Overlook...

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

... then on to Musselman Arch.

IMG_0549.JPG

We drove along the trail to our next campsite which was Murphy Hogback site C. Great site and the views from the bathroom were amazing!

IMG_0722.JPG

We drove on the next morning...

IMG_0725.JPG

... and proceeded to exit the via Hardscrabble.

Continued...

aires35

Adventurer
Summary

I have condensed this trip (photos especially) to make it not so long of a post. Full photo album is here...
https://picasaweb.google.com/113541426406050765337/ThanksgivingVacation2011

There are many more photos of the trail and other stuff there.

Let me say this about White Rim Trail: It is beautiful beyond description. It should be one-way. It is not as easy as some would have you believe. And most of all, if you are planning on taking your family here with no off-roading experience, a true 4wd (WITH a low-range transfer case) vehicle, self-recovery gear, first-aid training, or room for ample supplies, then you should reconsider. For the most part, this is a nice drive through the canyons on what could be a two-wheel drive road...for the most part. There are three sections (listed in order from easiest to hardest): Shafer Trail (where you drop into the canyon), Murphy Hogback (coming from Shafer trail towards Hardscrabble) and finally, Hardscrabble. Most of the road is graded very well, but some sections are very steep and loose. I dreaded seeing the Italian tourists in their rented 2wd 2011 Dodge Durango coming the opposite way at me...while trying to climb in four-low up the side of a canyon wall after a hairpin turn, and having to back down and risk plummeting to the canyon floor 1000 feet below.

I'm not a doomsdayer or anything. I just love the opportunity and access to places like this; and at the same time cringe at the unprepared who head out to parts unknown only to have something catastrophic happen and raise the eyebrows of the powers-that-be.

This place is definitely worth the drive and time to see some of God's most beautiful work. Just prepare accordingly and only if you have the right vehicle/equipment to go in the first place.

Please feel free to contact me if you are planning on going. We drove for 3 days on this trail and made it, but you would definitely benefit if you allotted more time. This is truly beautiful country.

Rambo1

Observer
great info and pics! that will be me in 2012 hopefully.

did a full tank of gas cover the white rim trail for the 3days?

:coffee:

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Looks like a great trip and inspiration to go again. We did the loop in two days late spring of 2009 and wished we'd allowed more time for exploration. We had the same Murphy Hogback site and enjoyed the wind protection the small trees offer. The decent off the top of Murphy is the only real opportunity for the passenger seat folks to look over the edge while you're moving. Looks like you brought along optional transportation in the back for anyone who wanted out of the truck.

aires35

Adventurer
thanks! Yes, one tank of gas was plenty. You will not regret the trip. Make sure u bring plenty of memory for your camera!

aires35

Adventurer
The Tundra actually is about as capable as my Tacoma was, providing you have room to maneuver! I love it, thanks.

aires35

Adventurer
Looks like a great trip and inspiration to go again. We did the loop in two days late spring of 2009 and wished we'd allowed more time for exploration. We had the same Murphy Hogback site and enjoyed the wind protection the small trees offer. The decent off the top of Murphy is the only real opportunity for the passenger seat folks to look over the edge while you're moving. Looks like you brought along optional transportation in the back for anyone who wanted out of the truck.

Heh heh, I've nicknamed that section,"Weeping Road". My wife won't let me tell why :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles