Cargo Trailer 5x8 Overland Conversion - Cherokee XJ Content

thatsagiven

PXL_20210701_181946549.jpg
Here is a ready to roll shot with the new roof paint, I also bedlined the door sides of the XJ and happy with how it turned out, I might cover it again with color matched paint in future but happy with the black for now. Its way nicer than the beat up sides and no more surface rust. Also Polished the xj's paint and it turned out great, not many BC pinstripes left.

thatsagiven

PXL_20210619_174035274.jpg

For anyone interested in the Renogy kits for Solar, the starter kits do come with almost everything you need to get going. I am not fully installed yet. Still deciding how to best mount the panels on the roof.

PXL_20210619_174239440.jpg

Here are the details of the panels if you are interested.

PXL_20210619_215050330.MP.jpg

I have room for 4 in future, and 400w is what the charge controller will take. Might be overkill, but we will see.

PXL_20210619_220953566.jpg

I have read its best to mount solar at a 30degree angle. After some back and fourth in a few groups I am not going to worry about the 30 degrees. My thinking is that I will care more about placement for campsites, comfort etc rather than solar. Most people that rig up adjustable panels don't often use it from what I have been told. So If I mount two on the front they will both be at 10 degrees and granted we get direct sunlight on the roof should charge the battery in a few hours. If I was doing more than just camping It might be a bigger issue.

PXL_20210619_224837144.jpg

Power panel is coming along, the kit comes with tones of wire for my application, I imagine if you are getting one for your larger RV or any small trailer you will be happy.

Haven't finished mounting the panels yet, before I drill more roof holes I want to ensure I have a final placement and am on the fence of mounting some sort of roof rack.

thatsagiven

Most recent trip to a local campsite called "Country Maples" It has a large RV side but also nice tent sites we took advantage of.

PXL_20210705_003215231.jpg

New awning brackets made for a much better height for us at almost 6 feet.

PXL_20210701_233812741.MP.jpg

Better shot of the whole site. Lots of people were asking about the trailer (and the XJ). And we saw another homemade squaredrop trailer I had seen from a FB group.

PXL_20210701_233537708.jpg
Great 3 day trip and everything worked out great for the trailer.

chet6.7

Explorer
View attachment 670162

For anyone interested in the Renogy kits for Solar, the starter kits do come with almost everything you need to get going. I am not fully installed yet. Still deciding how to best mount the panels on the roof.

View attachment 670163

Here are the details of the panels if you are interested.

View attachment 670165

I have room for 4 in future, and 400w is what the charge controller will take. Might be overkill, but we will see.

View attachment 670166

I have read its best to mount solar at a 30degree angle. After some back and fourth in a few groups I am not going to worry about the 30 degrees. My thinking is that I will care more about placement for campsites, comfort etc rather than solar. Most people that rig up adjustable panels don't often use it from what I have been told. So If I mount two on the front they will both be at 10 degrees and granted we get direct sunlight on the roof should charge the battery in a few hours. If I was doing more than just camping It might be a bigger issue.
You could use a portable panel, angled, and in full sun if the trailer is in the shade.

228B

Observer
Love the progress you've made on this thing. I can see a lot of work that has gone into it since the last time I checked your thread.

Bravo!

thatsagiven

Love the progress you've made on this thing. I can see a lot of work that has gone into it since the last time I checked your thread.

Bravo!

Thank you, haven't done too much lately, but everything as stayed dry over winter which is great. Looking forward to more work and more updates here soon.

Ballbearing

Observer
Did you discuss or list the type/brand of paint you used on the trailer? I have a similar trailer that needs painting. My trailer is almost 40 years old and the paint has a powdery white residue on it currently that I'm sure will need removed prior.

Thanks for posting your progress and build information.

thatsagiven

Did you discuss or list the type/brand of paint you used on the trailer? I have a similar trailer that needs painting. My trailer is almost 40 years old and the paint has a powdery white residue on it currently that I'm sure will need removed prior.

Thanks for posting your progress and build information.

I didn't cover the paint in detail, but I used a Tremclad Professional paint in machine grey. (can buy in spray cans at home depot, or Lowe's). It was a bit of a gamble, but I was happy with the finish and longevity over winter. That paint sticks well to almost anything. I did prep the surface with a light sanding, my old paint was only from 2004.

Other than that, I taped everything off and painted it on a still day. I figured if I scratched things up I could really easily touch it up with this method.

download.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles