Cargo Trailer 5x8 Overland Conversion - Cherokee XJ Content

thatsagiven

I love these little cargo trailer conversions. Yours is coming together really well. Glad to see you went with the bigger, 105 Ah battery. Only be sure you're charging it correctly and it will last years.

I'll be checking your thread here from time to time as I've started my own project using a 5 X 10 like yours but newer. Same stuff, different day is all.

Thanks for taking the time to post for the rest of us! Again, looking good!

Thanks @228B ! Looking forward to seeing your build as well! Hoping I am charging right I have a charger /maintainer wired direct to the battery and a shore plug. Not going below 12.4 on the battery, and topping it up/keeping it plugged in regularly. Any thoughts or recommendations on that setup?

Having fun and happy to post and maybe I'll be an inspiration or ideas for others.

228B

Observer
I just read two pages back in your thread here, to refresh my memory of your 12V setup. As long as you can stay on top of the battery voltage, you're going to be fine. That 1100 watt inverter is the most I would go with one battery. Do you have a transfer switch for your shore power (120V)? so that if you get to plug in at a powered camp site you can send that directly to your 120V outlets inside the trailer...

I00 watts of solar panel (PV, for "photovoltaic") is the minimum for that size battery; 150 watts would be better if you want to charge from a 50% state of charge. 12.4 resting voltage (after 4 hours) represents a 70-80% State of Charge so a 100W panel would be mostly for the absorption phase of charging where inbound amps aren't as important as seeing at least 14.4 volts for a few hours to 100% SoC. Renogy makes good panels. Don't need MPPT at this level; a good PWM charge controller will work just fine *if* you can make sure the battery sees the 14.4 volts that the charge controller is sending to it. This is where you want the proper size copper stranded wire gauge, and you want the battery as close as possible to the solar charge controller. blah blah blah

thatsagiven

I just read two pages back in your thread here, to refresh my memory of your 12V setup. As long as you can stay on top of the battery voltage, you're going to be fine. That 1100 watt inverter is the most I would go with one battery. Do you have a transfer switch for your shore power (120V)? so that if you get to plug in at a powered camp site you can send that directly to your 120V outlets inside the trailer...

I00 watts of solar panel (PV, for "photovoltaic") is the minimum for that size battery; 150 watts would be better if you want to charge from a 50% state of charge. 12.4 resting voltage (after 4 hours) represents a 70-80% State of Charge so a 100W panel would be mostly for the absorption phase of charging where inbound amps aren't as important as seeing at least 14.4 volts for a few hours to 100% SoC. Renogy makes good panels. Don't need MPPT at this level; a good PWM charge controller will work just fine *if* you can make sure the battery sees the 14.4 volts that the charge controller is sending to it. This is where you want the proper size copper stranded wire gauge, and you want the battery as close as possible to the solar charge controller. blah blah blah
Thanks! Really appreciate the info, I'll look into this and might bug you if I have more questions. I don't have the transfer switch now, but I was going to swap the plugs to a 120 power bar manually for now.