Cargo/Sleeping Platform

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Has anyone built a cargo or sleeping platform in there Trooper. I was thinking about building a cargo platform with drawers and a extra hinged platform on it so that when the back seats are folded down (but not released and against the front seats) there was a solid platform for sleeping.

Any thoughts, pictures, other ideas?

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Grim Reaper said:
Thread 2 below yours has some information and links.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1813
There is a link to a really nice set up in that post.

Search platform or storage and see what yoyu come up with. there is a lot of great ideas you will come up with. Don't limit yourself to just looking for Trooper. The basic idea is the same with any truck.

Thanks, somehow I missed that! Anyone else with Trooper platform pictures? What features would you include if you built one?

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I have my pictures of my sleeping platform in the thread Grim quoted. It's about 50% finished. I need carpeting and drawers made, and then I'm set. I've also included dimensions in that thread so you can build a similar box without having to measure much.

Enjoy!

-Matt

paulj

Expedition Leader
I have a platform in my Element. These pictures may give you some ideas
http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/elementplatform

On the Element, front and rear seats can be lowered, forming a continuous, though somewhat lumpy bed from front to back. I removed the rear seats, replacing them with a 4' long platform. When the front seat backs are lowered (and slid all the way forward), I have a sleeping surface about 8' long. We sleep on backpacking air mattresses, with our heads and torsos on the flat rear half, and feet on the front seat backs. The dog and gear are stored on the front seat bottoms, and on and under the dash.

On the road, gear is stored under the platform, in the 'foot well' between platform and front seats, and on the platform. I add a bungee 'net' across the middle of the platform to keep gear from sliding forward. Plus some boxes are strapped down.

The platform itself is built from wood boards, plywood panels, slotted angle steel, and 1/4" hardware. So it can be easily disassembled and stored - though I haven't removed it completely in a couple of years. It is held in place with turnbuckles.

paulj

Zaphod

Adventurer
What I want to know is, how do you guys get in and out of your rigs seeing as the rear doors (on a Trooper, anyway) have no interior handle to open them with? :confused:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
This thread has become a little bit of everything. It is generic enough that the ideas are universal to any make.

Maybe we should make this an official "sleeping platform" thread and ask a moderator to move it in the general forum. Then dump all our different ideas and links into it?

Here is a Link to my set up.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3033

I haven't finished the extension yet and still working on my home made fridge and how it will work in the truck.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Zaphod said:
What I want to know is, how do you guys get in and out of your rigs seeing as the rear doors (on a Trooper, anyway) have no interior handle to open them with? :confused:
New troopes don't have an interrior release? Weird. My 88 Trooper did. It was nice feature.

On my 4Runner I will be adding in a hot all the time swtich in the cargo area for the window to allow for egress.

I honestly am toying with the idea of selling the runner and my 2wd burb and getting a older 4x4 burb hopefully with a diesel and possible swap in a 12v Cummings. Space is at such a premium with the Toy I am just not sure I can make it work as I had hopped. Then salvage a top off a Westy.

paulj

Expedition Leader
My old 1984 Trooper II did have an inside handle. In fact it had a child-proofing switch on the door edge.

The Element does not have an inside handle. However by drilling a 1" hole in the inside hatch liner, I can reach in and activate the latch mechanism. Others have installed an inside cable release.

But, I have rarely used the inside hatch release. Instead, we exit via the side doors. In part this is because we sleep with our heads toward the tailgate.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier