Cargo Netting Storage?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I've been considering more options of utilizing more space in my TJ (since it lacks cargo room as is) but also keeps organization clean but allows me to continue to utilize my backseat (meaning backseat will be in and out of the Jeep). I've considered drawers but again that removes the use of my backseat. Then I had this idea. Take your traditional cargo netting people use in Jeeps to contain their dogs and keep belongings from flying out of your Jeep. Now simply attach bags and packs (army surplus like packs) to the straps on the netting. Good way to keep tools, medical, winch control and other recovery, and other supplies up and out of the way to keep normal cargo room less cluttered. The idea also is that if I ever NEED to remove it, it will be easy to remove and reinstall without damaging.

Anyone else had this idea or executed it? It's just a matter of finding cargo netting that is strong enough to hold the gear (shouldn't be hard) and modifying it to attach to the roll bar. Or possibly using something like what Dirty Dog 4x4 offers and seeing if it can handle the weight. However, I would rather not spend $300 on a product just to see if it can handle the weight only for it to break. Essentially the same concept Smittybilt had with their GEAR seat covers by attaching bags to the rear of the seat (poorly executed) but rather for the entire rear cargo area.
206496.jpg
https://www.quadratec.com/products/11345_011X_PG.htm Dirty Dog 4x4 netting for example

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
I think I had safari nets in my TJ and they weren't bad. I would hang climbing gear all over the place like quickdraws, harness, shoes, and rope. The rope would be the only thing that would give me issues and if I didn't hang it near the rollbars i'd find myself adjusting the straps all the time. If I was to do it again I would honestly use black ratchet straps. Cheap, no problem getting them tight, and has multiple other uses.

TripLeader

Explorer
I've got a Raingler net for my LJ. I only have the one that straps directly behind the front seats, dividing the front of the cab from the rear. I use it as a bulkhead to help keep gear from sliding forward. You could use it as a point to strap things to. It's good quality and I recommend Raingler.

MOguy

Explorer
If you get a good net you can. I had a SmittyBilt and it was a "cargo net" in appearance only. With a good net and good anchors you can strap cargo to it (within reason) without any issue.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
If you get a good net you can. I had a SmittyBilt and it was a "cargo net" in appearance only. With a good net and good anchors you can strap cargo to it (within reason) with out any issue.

Yeah I don't think I'll ever trust another Smittybilt product again. Figure once I get back up to Arkansas in a little more than a week, I might run to the local surplus store and see what they have to offer. Might just see if they have some strong, cheap straps available and use those instead and of coarse buy some nice packs.

I think the possibility of sagging occurring has me a little concerned but if I have a strong enough strap/netting I think I'll be okay. Also think I could hook packs to vertical straps rather than the horizontal straps to keep them from sagging and use the horizontal straps as more for stability (if that makes sense). I could also just build some crossbars out of wood or something. Might do some sketching and see what my imagination comes up with.

MOguy

Explorer
I stopped using my net because it would get snagged n trees. The woods are thick were I live. I travel with the top up if I go into the woods with people in the back seats.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
These wouldn't be for large or very heavy things, but depending on what you need to store maybe "Molle bars" would help - they're sleeves that wrap around the roll bars and have Molle webbing on them, you can attach Molle pouches or anything else that can attach to Molle webbing.

MolleBarBackPouches3_zps22c77d1a.jpg

MolleBarDoneFront3_zpsa2bf06d8.jpg

MolleJerryCan_zpsfbbmjdh0.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
I have bolted bags on my inner fender. I keep soft items in them such clothes, jackets, straps... They double as pillows and arm rests for my kids. You can my old crappy Smilltybilt net in the background.

bag.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I stopped using my net because it would get snagged n trees. The woods are thick were I live. I travel with the top up if I go into the woods with people in the back seats.
Not an issue for me, I don't take the top off my Jeep because I'm lame:)

These wouldn't be for large or very heavy things, but depending on what you need to store maybe "Molle bars" would help - they're sleeves that wrap around the roll bars and have Molle webbing on them, you can attach Molle pouches or anything else that can attach to Molle webbing.

Ahh the man who always has a plan. Those could be useful. Like said I don't intend to put anything too heavy on them, just get some of the smaller/medium out of the way to keep cargo less cluttered and more organized

I'll definitely take a look at these

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have bolted bags on my inner fender. I keep soft items in them such clothes, jackets, straps... They double as pillows and arm rests for my kids. You can my old crappy Smilltybilt net in the background.

View attachment 411589

Building on this idea, you could do either a net bag or a Molle panel on the inner fender.

JKUInnerFenderNetv2a_zpsgkmz79t0.jpg

JKUInnerFenderMolle4_zpsxqzuojlt.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer

MolleBarBackPouches3_zps22c77d1a.jpg

I saw those online someplace but foolishly neglected to bookmark the link. Who sells them?

EDIT:

Never mind. A google search of the photos revealed this link: http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/product-category/tj-jeep-wrangler-1997-2006/tj-wrangler-molle-bars/

Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Molle-Bar-Sleeve-Locations.jpg

Some other ideas here: https://www.bartact.com/products/bartact-roll-bar-molle-barrel-bag-small

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles