"Cargo Cross Bars" capacity

mightymike

Adventurer
Does anyone know what the weight capacity is for the Toyota "cargo cross bars" that are available as an option? Would four bars support a sleeping platform?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
mightymike said:
Does anyone know what the weight capacity is for the Toyota "cargo cross bars" that are available as an option? Would four bars support a sleeping platform?

Year and model?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
05+, no. The weight capacity is 50 lbs per bar. The bars are strong enough but it's the rails that are a concern. You can however fab up some reinforcements rather easily which would allow you to place a sleeping platform on top.

mightymike

Adventurer
Sorry-This would be for an '07. I was thinking they might be an alternative to the pricey-but-nice Thule xSportster.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
There is no alternative to that rack it rocks. I have run yakima's outdoorsman, it broke. I ran a custom triple yakima bar set up using control towers and it broke. I then went tot he xporter and have beat the snot out of it no problems. The best thing is that you can have it in the low position for highway driving and rough terrain and then raise it up when you need to use your offroad lights at night.

mightymike

Adventurer
Nullifer-Thanks for your reply. Do the crossbars on the eXsporter remove easliy in order to fully use the truck bed when they are not needed, or is it fairly easy and quick to remove the entire rack system?

Thanks-

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
There are 8 clamps total on the xporter. It is not a huge deal to take it of after the initial install is done. Install takes about an hour but removal/reinstal takes about 10 minutes.

You can pull the cross bar and upper vertical support out of the base but since I have not done that I can not attest to how hard or easy it would be to put the upper vertical post back into the base. Tolerences on mine are tight so that may be harder then unclamping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier