Cargo Craft Offroad Trailers

bigskypylot

Explorer
I thought about a shorter one as well but really want to be able to stand up in it. I did some research on lowering it if it ends up being too high, which is doable. Obviously it is easier and cheaper to lower it than it is to raise it. I have the added hurdle of having to raise the bottom of the trailer by putting the axle under the leaf springs to get more ground clearance. Will suck on the road but the only way I will make it into camp.

Tradeoffs! I'm going to the 3500 Torsion

timber wolf

Below are my specs. By studs in the wall and ceiling are 1" square tubes. If I had it to do over I would have made it 6.5' tall. I didn't because the primary place I take has a lot of trees and I am afraid of issues. I also wanted a roof rack but didn't add it for the same reasons. I was torn between the axles I bought versus the axle less Timbrens but decided due to the offroading issues it might put too much force on the Timbrens and bend the trailer frame. I guess I could have had the frame strengthened. This is my first one so I am hoping I didn't miss anything important.

Custom Order Options
LRKTX - 6 X 12 Tandem Axle Trailer - $500 Deposit
V-Nose - $161 Deposit
Medium Duty Ramp Door - $116 Deposit
16” On Center floor, walls, and ceiling- $25 Deposit
Fold_Down_Stabilizer_Jacks_$20_Deposit
Floor_Mount_D_Rings_(ea)_$12_Deposit
30x15 Window - $25 Deposit
Upgrade walls, ceiling and floor members to tube frame- $50 Deposit
Barnett side door - $10 Deposit
15"X30" Window With Vertical Slider (Mounted In Door) - $25 Deposit

Standard Equipment on All 6 Foot Wide Tandem Axle Trailers
· Side Walls 16 Inches On Center
· 2,000 Pound A-Frame Jack
· 2 5/16 Inch Hitch Coupler
· Interior Height - 72 Inches (6 Feet)
· Front Fiberglass Cap
· Break Away Kit
· Round 7 Pin Electrical Connector
· 32" Side Door
· 3/4 Inch Plywood Flooring
· 3/8 Inch Plywood Walls
· ST205/15 Bias Ply Tires
· White Spoke Rims
· E-Z Lube Hubs
· Aluminum Jeep Fenders
· White Aluminum Sides
· Galvalume Roof
· Screwed Exterior
· 3500 lb Leaf Spring Axles X 2 = 7K GVW
· Electric Trailer Brakes (Both Axles)

Nice. Sounds like a nice setup. I'm going for a smaller footprint with a 5x8 but not sure on height. I spoke with Chris and he said they could do whatever height I wanted starting with a 4ft10 or 5ft height or i could co from 5ft down 12" increments to 4ft. I'm thinking 4ft10 or 4ft

So many options to be had.
I ordered mine 5 feet high. It ended up around 6’ 10” tall to the top of the roof vent. It’s a perfect height for mine but it’s a 6x12. If I was getting a 5x8 like yours I would definitely go shorter than 5’.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Below are my specs. By studs in the wall and ceiling are 1" square tubes. If I had it to do over I would have made it 6.5' tall. I didn't because the primary place I take has a lot of trees and I am afraid of issues. I also wanted a roof rack but didn't add it for the same reasons. I was torn between the axles I bought versus the axle less Timbrens but decided due to the offroading issues it might put too much force on the Timbrens and bend the trailer frame. I guess I could have had the frame strengthened. This is my first one so I am hoping I didn't miss anything important.

Custom Order Options
V-Nose - $161 Deposit

· Front Fiberglass Cap
· Break Away Kit
· 32" Side Door
· 3/8 Inch Plywood Walls
· White Spoke Rims
· E-Z Lube Hubs
· Aluminum Jeep Fenders
· White Aluminum Sides
· Galvalume Roof
· Screwed Exterior

Nice. Sounds like a nice setup. I'm going for a smaller footprint with a 5x8 but not sure on height. I spoke with Chris and he said they could do whatever height I wanted starting with a 4ft10 or 5ft height or i could co from 5ft down 12" increments to 4ft. I'm thinking 4ft10 or 4ft

I ordered mine 5 feet high. It ended up around 6’ 10” tall to the top of the roof vent. It’s a perfect height for mine but it’s a 6x12. If I was getting a 5x8 like yours I would definitely go shorter than 5’.
Yep. I was thinking 4ft actually. I am really trying to decide on if I want a trailer to get me by or if I can make do just taking my RTT off and on when I need or dont need. I really have my eye on a overkill camper setup but those start at 22k and then have options I want. Nothing wrong with saving more money for the one I really want.

As it is, the trailer I have spec'd out now is 8500 plus a few more options would but in 9 to 10k range.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ITTOG

Custom Order Options
V-Nose - $161 Deposit

· Front Fiberglass Cap
· Break Away Kit
· 32" Side Door
· 3/8 Inch Plywood Walls
· White Spoke Rims
· E-Z Lube Hubs
· Aluminum Jeep Fenders
· White Aluminum Sides
· Galvalume Roof
· Screwed Exterior

Yep. I was thinking 4ft actually. I am really trying to decide on if I want a trailer to get me by or if I can make do just taking my RTT off and on when I need or dont need. I really have my eye on a overkill camper setup but those start at 22k and then have options I want. Nothing wrong with saving more money for the one I really want.

As it is, the trailer I have spec'd out now is 8500 plus a few more options would but in 9 to 10k range.

I am moving to the trailer from a tent. I am tired of fighting rain. I thought about getting a used pop up but it wouldn't last long enough without major frame and suspension work. I wanted a 7 x 14 x 7 cargo but it was too wide for the trails we are on, and to tall. I struggled with having to reduce the size. It is hard to figure out want verse need and then look at cost objectively.

The trailer specs I provided cost about $4,500. I will build out the inside myself since I like to build, and to save some cash.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

snare

Adventurer
We are going with a 5x8 with 4' interior height. Will be doing springs over a straight axle, or saying f-it and going with Timbren axle less.
16" OC tube for floors, walls, roof. Lengthened tongue with receiver.

woodardd

Update.. has anyone picked their trailers up yet. How was the experience, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grassland

Are any guys doing builds like this putting tip out bunk on one side of trailer? Would give more living space, not have to climb onto roof top tent. Allow you to still keep a narrower trailer like 6' wide.
It is an option with some of the cargo trailer manufacturers.

ITTOG

Are any guys doing builds like this putting tip out bunk on one side of trailer? Would give more living space, not have to climb onto roof top tent. Allow you to still keep a narrower trailer like 6' wide.
It is an option with some of the cargo trailer manufacturers.

I would like to look at that but just don't know where to start. I guess I need to see examples of how it is done.

ITTOG

@bigskypylot
Did you ever finalize a design and make a purchase? I finally received mine and have had a lot of issues with leaks. Whatever you do, do not buy a Lark trailer. Outside of the leaks it has been great though.

bigskypylot

Explorer
@bigskypylot
Did you ever finalize a design and make a purchase? I finally received mine and have had a lot of issues with leaks. Whatever you do, do not buy a Lark trailer. Outside of the leaks it has been great though.
Nope. I decided I'm going to go a different route and not go with that type of trailer. Hope you get your issues resolved

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier