Cargo Craft Offroad Trailers

bigskypylot

Explorer
Looling in to something like this. I spoke with the guy that has them built and customized down in the Dallas area. This particular build is insulated and has aluminum walls and vinyl floor with etrack system on walls.

It also has 3500 torsion axles that I could upgrade to 5200# axle with electric brakes and six lug hubs. With the 5200, you get a beefier frame as well. Id like to add a lower profile rack to mount my RTT along with added support internally and possibly a dometic AC unit at sometime.

They can pretty much do anything for custom upgrades. I'm also looking to mount 33" wheels vs the 32" wheel it comes with? Just wanted to get some feedback, input and impressions on these trailers. I'm also looking at the Matte Tan color.

Thanks!

https://www.trophytrailerstx.com/mobile/mdetails.aspx?vid=20799552

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
I might add that I am looking at 5x8 but could be swayed to a 5x10 which is only 50# more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jays0n

Adventurer
It really depends on where you plan to use it. It seems like a solid base to start outfitting. Knowing where I can and like to bring my little trailer I can't imagine something that large, but that's me. It doesn't say how tall it is but putting a roof top tent on top adds about 100 lbs of weight up high, which may or may not be a concern for you. I originally had my RTT mounted high on my trailer but it felt quite top-heavy off road so I decided it needed a lower center of gravity. I modified the rack to lower the tent 16" for travel and added some fuel and water Rotopax canisters at a lower point on the side. It was like a different trailer handling wise.

bigskypylot

Explorer
It really depends on where you plan to use it. It seems like a solid base to start outfitting. Knowing where I can and like to bring my little trailer I can't imagine something that large, but that's me. It doesn't say how tall it is but putting a roof top tent on top adds about 100 lbs of weight up high, which may or may not be a concern for you. I originally had my RTT mounted high on my trailer but it felt quite top-heavy off road so I decided it needed a lower center of gravity. I modified the rack to lower the tent 16" for travel and added some fuel and water Rotopax canisters at a lower point on the side. It was like a different trailer handling wise.
Yeah, my RTT is ~175#, I'd want to keep the rack as low as possible. I'm 6ft and this would be more to be a gear hauler with a quick place to sleep if I need it.

I want to get something for my RTT rather than carry on my vehicle and I don't want to break the bank as I save for an Overkill or TetonX in the future. I don't plan on taking this rock-crawli g or in to places that I shouldn't. It would be to base camp and to vet to places where 90-95% of the general population won't go.

jays0n

Adventurer
Seems like it might be a good fit then and hopefully has a decent resale value if you plan to upgrade in the future. It looks like it's weight is centered between a pretty wide track so as long as you have some weight in it I bet the RTT won't be an issue. Will you be outfitting it with batteries, water or other systems or using it strictly as a gear hauler?

I had my RTT on my rig and felt a trailer was a better fit for us, I haven't looked back, it's great. I built a Dinoot trailer a couple years ago and although it's not 100% perfect for all scenarios it was very affordable, fun to build and I have it highly outfitted (electrical, solar, water, propane, etc.) so it really does the job for us. Unfortunately here in the Seattle area we are experiencing a bit of a population surge and the places that 90-95% of people wouldn't normally go is now where it seems they now all go! To get away from that you really need to go a lot further out, which is fine. Places we used to go and not see a single other person for days we now have dozens of people showing up trying to get the spot we're in, it can be very frustrating. The ability to buy a RTT at REI hasn't helped, now anyone here with an all wheel drive vehicle and $2k (which is everyone with Microsoft, Amazon and dozens of other tech companies hiring non-stop) has a RTT and feels they are an off-roader. Sorry, I digress, a lot.

woodardd

Let me know if you get this trailer. I’m in the same boat as you and have not been able to find any pre-converted Cargo trailers like this. Seriously considering purchasing one of these next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigskypylot

Explorer
Seems like it might be a good fit then and hopefully has a decent resale value if you plan to upgrade in the future. It looks like it's weight is centered between a pretty wide track so as long as you have some weight in it I bet the RTT won't be an issue. Will you be outfitting it with batteries, water or other systems or using it strictly as a gear hauler?

I had my RTT on my rig and felt a trailer was a better fit for us, I haven't looked back, it's great. I built a Dinoot trailer a couple years ago and although it's not 100% perfect for all scenarios it was very affordable, fun to build and I have it highly outfitted (electrical, solar, water, propane, etc.) so it really does the job for us. Unfortunately here in the Seattle area we are experiencing a bit of a population surge and the places that 90-95% of people wouldn't normally go is now where it seems they now all go! To get away from that you really need to go a lot further out, which is fine. Places we used to go and not see a single other person for days we now have dozens of people showing up trying to get the spot we're in, it can be very frustrating. The ability to buy a RTT at REI hasn't helped, now anyone here with an all wheel drive vehicle and $2k (which is everyone with Microsoft, Amazon and dozens of other tech companies hiring non-stop) has a RTT and feels they are an off-roader. Sorry, I digress, a lot.
Definitely will let you know what I do. They can customize however you want. I want a lower rack, and will be going with the 5200# torsion axle which upgrades the frame to a stronger steel, 6 lug wheels and electric brakes. Probably extend the tongue, LED lights, insulated and aluminum skinned interior with E-track, 33" wheels, awning and a sealed dry box upfront. I'll eventually build it out a little more but mostly a gear hauler. As for electric, I'll be usi g a Goal Zero 1400 Lithium and my old 400 AGM Yeti

woodardd

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. My needs are almost identical to yours. If you are inquiring with them already, you should see if they could do a discount for two with those same options. Where are you located? Thanks.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. My needs are almost identical to yours. If you are inquiring with them already, you should see if they could do a discount for two with those same options. Where are you located? Thanks.

I see the black one sold. I go back and forth between Montana, Tennessee and Wisconsin. Currently in Tennessee and moving down to Wyoming this winter. I'll be talking to Jerry next week sometime about options. Will keep you up to date.

woodardd

I’d appreciate that. I’d probably go a different color, but same options. I live in West TX now, but frequently get down to the area where these are located. Let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94