Cargo Baskets - Show me how you secure your load!

greg.potter

Adventurer
I am a BIG fan of the Gladiator (previously Gorilla) family of cargo nets and accessories. This stuff is bombproof!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Those look great for larger baskets. I need something in the 2' x 4-4.5' range. Their ATV/Quad net is too short, and their other stuff is too big.

Given how popular the hitch-mount cargo baskets are in general, it's weird that finding a net sized for that application is so hard without going ridiculously over-kill. I've found a couple nets that are, as you say, bombproof, with 2" webbing and forged corner rings, etc., but they're still a little over-large. The closest actual cargo net I've found is an older Safari Straps 47"x32" 2" net. Apparently they don't make it any more, but I bought one for internal cargo a while back so I used it on the roof a couple times. With a lightly loaded basket, it was hard to get it secure since it's quite a bit wider than needed (I had to strap down to the outside lower corners to even get it close to tight and it was less than ideal.)

For now, my $25 minitruck tailgate net is actually working the best because it's the closest match in size for the basket - I can get it tightly stretched over the basket right to the corners which keeps it from moving around.

pith helmet

This is a rack I’ve been working on for our Jeep. I need somewhere to put a few light and bulky items and maybe a little firewood. It has an moveable extension for supporting the awning and a slide out for a shower/privacy enclosure in the back. I said it is a ‘prototype‘ but I think ‘rough draft’ May be more fitting. ?

There‘s a little more detail in this thread in the Jeep section.

16EF3DB3-77C0-48AF-88E5-27F5B09882E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier