CARFAX reports

wbpolk

carfox-driving-lrg2.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Good grief. Not only is this illegal, but are you seriously that cheap to spend 40 bucks on a major purchase?
-
I seriously hope the mods won't support this type of activity.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Good grief. Not only is this illegal, but are you seriously that cheap to spend 40 bucks on a major purchase?
-
I seriously hope the mods won't support this type of activity.

No no keep it up. It will create a good database of people whom you should never buy a used car from.

kmcintyre

Observer
Carfax is a joke. I purchased a truck that was Carfax certified and a certified used. I took it to my local dealer and they claimed it was in an accident. Nothing on the Carfax, etc. and the company told me to basically hire a lawyer that Carfax is only good if a) something is reported b) the car was "totaled" and does not show up on Carfax.

In other words, if the Carfax doesn't show a totaled car, it's worthless.

Lucky for me, the local dealer eventually figured out it wasn't in an accident.

BobbyJones

Observer
Carfax is a joke. I purchased a truck that was Carfax certified and a certified used. I took it to my local dealer and they claimed it was in an accident. Nothing on the Carfax, etc. and the company told me to basically hire a lawyer that Carfax is only good if a) something is reported b) the car was "totaled" and does not show up on Carfax.

If I'm understanding this, there was nothing on the Carfax about the accident it was never in?

Go figure.

GR8ADV

Explorer
If I'm understanding this, there was nothing on the Carfax about the accident it was never in?

Go figure.
omg tell me that did not just happen. This is starting out to be one of the better threads of 2017.

Edit. I wonder no more how the SCROTUS ( so-called ruler of the United States ) got elected.

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer

:squint: uhh you're upset Carfax didn't show an accident that didn't happen? I'm so confused.

DoKarider16

Observer
Carfax is a great tool but it is not a replacement for pre purchase inspections and careful in person examination of the vehicle you are buying. I bought an Audi once and the car fax report didn't show anything. The car had been in a major front end collision, but if the previous owner must have never reported the repair and not used insurance. There is no way Carfax could know about something that isn't reported. Carfax is a great way to find out reported service records and how many owners there have been and what parts of the country the vehicle has been in.

In my opinion they offer a service and have a fee for the service. If you want the service pay the fee, it's pretty reasonable for what you get.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Does Carfax give a vehicles location? I'd like to find my old truck and buy it back if possible but I'm not sure how to locate it...

Happykamper

Explorer
There are a few companies like Carfax ...another is Autocheck ! A lot of dealerships run both of these for buying and selling purposes! The funny part is these two companies frequently show accident indicators when the other does not. Here's how it benefits the dealer. If you run both while taking in a car and one shows a accident indicator and the other does not, they simply choose the one "with" the indicator to show the trade as having an accident ! Then they tell customer they will need to disclose this to the next customer ... So the car is worth far less ! Then when selling to the next customer and they say they want a Carfax!! Well no one cares if it's a Carfax or Autocheck as long as they are shown a green light that there is "no" accident indicator !
Now if you think this is a " used car dealer " trick , YOUR WRONG !!! Lithia motors does this in there stores a lot !!! But so do a lot of " new car " dealers !!! So be very careful.

By the way what is being proposed in the beginning of this thread is highly unethical and illegal !!! Don't participate!!!

Happykamper

Explorer
Carfax will show where last city and state registered . Also where last reported dealer service was. But not who owns or address .

kmcintyre

Observer
:squint: uhh you're upset Carfax didn't show an accident that didn't happen? I'm so confused.

Ok so you guys crack me up. Yes, the truck was not in an accident. My alt-point was that Carfax doesn't tell you or guarantee anything other than if your vehicle as totaled and they didn't report that. That's it really. Read their site and try to find out what they offer you. In my case, the dealer told me it was in an accident. I went to Carfax and found out that just because it's not on the report, doesn't mean it wasn't in an accident.

I always thought Carfax would have any accident your car was in, listed on it; it doesn't.

I hope that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles