Carbest window fitting

tanuki.himself

i couldn't find this information on line anywhere before i took the plunge and bought them, so I figure others may benefit from my experience.....this is not an advertisment or a recommendation.

Carbest seem to be a common alternative choice to Dometic Seitz S4 in Europe - similar look and profile, fewer choices in sizes and normally slightly cheaper. The are ditributed by Reimo among others.

IMG_5355.JPG

First thing to note is that the information on the Reimo web site and repeated on many others is incorrect when it states they will fit walls of 30mm +- 1.5. The fitting instructions included in the packaging state they will fit walls 26-47mm which obviously makes them suitable for a lot more builds. I've just fitted them to my 34mm walls with no problems, but if you want to fit them to anything much thicker you may need to source additional m5 connector nuts and studding as the supplied connection nuts would start to run out of thread, and you would need some more packing pieces. Taking this approach there is probably no upper limit to the wall thickness you could fit them to.

IMG_5349.JPG

The fixing mechanism is based on some m5 studs moulded into the plastic window frame which protrude with 15mm of thread. There are some L shaped steel brackets supplied that can be fitted either way up (depends on your wall thickness) and connector nuts. These clamp the outer window frame to the wall from the inside. There is a rubber seal with 3 ridges on the external frame flange that clamp against the wall so no glue or sealant should be needed. I did these up finger tight and then 1/4 turn with a spanner and they seem to be well seated, and a quick blast with a hosepipe didn't show any leaks, but i'll keep an eye on them for the next few days when it is due to rain and tighten further if necessary.

IMG_5350.JPG

the internal frame with integrated flymesh and blind then screws into the other side of these connector nuts .

IMG_5346.JPG

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Thanks for the review. I have been looking at them for a while... Just became a Reimo dealer for North America. Looks like the frame is plastic/ABS. Therefore it should be thermal transfer free. That's great! How is the blind assembly? Any good?

Cheers

tanuki.himself

How is the blind assembly? Any good?

seems Ok at an initial look - i only got them yesterday and fitted them this morning. The magnet between the two handles is quite strong and needs two hands to separate them. I can take a photo of the inside of the internal frame showing the mechanisms tomorrow and post it if you want, or any other details.

yes, i think the outer frame is all moulded plastic so no heat conduction

Victorian

seems Ok at an initial look - i only got them yesterday and fitted them this morning. The magnet between the two handles is quite strong and needs two hands to separate them. I can take a photo of the inside of the internal frame showing the mechanisms tomorrow and post it if you want, or any other details.

yes, i think the outer frame is all moulded plastic so no heat conduction
Pictures would be cool. Thanks! You think the flyscreen is 100% bug proof?

tanuki.himself

IMG_5357.JPG

Blinds are held in either side by an aluminium channel screwed to the plastic frame. it looks like a pretty close fit so i think it will be pretty effective at keeping the bugs out

IMG_5358.JPG

there is a brush on a ridge inside the aluminium track which i assume should help keep things out, and you can see the white cord that the blind handle runs along

IMG_5359.JPG

there appears to be a black cord and a white cord on each side of the blind but i can't see any evidence of these being cross-linked or going around pulleys, so may be simpler than some other brands. Sorry but i'm not ready to take a screwdriver to the mechanism just yet - maybe in a few months when they start jamming up or a cord breaks.

Victorian

That's awesome! Thank you.
Not sure where you are located..I just got a shipping quote for those from Germany.... OMG not really worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles