Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
awesome build. I literally joined this site so i could comment on this build. I am just getting started myself with a 2017 rhino JKUR. So far i have only swapped on a metal cloak front bumper as a modification.

Future wish list for me are the AEV Salta's in Onyx, AEV dual sport 2.5", rest of the metal cloak overland fenders/liner/rock rail system, AEV rear bumper/tire carrier.

I know it is ambitious, but like you put in the beginning of this, i plan to ride this thing until it dies.

Good to hear! I would only say that if you plan to load the back of your Jeep to the brim you would probably be better off with the 3.5" lift from AEV. The 2.5" is nice but I really kick myself by not getting the 3.5".

Good luck with the build.

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Pretty small stuff going on.

State inspected (and passed, lol.)

Going to get my shop to look at my front end to try to find a squeak.

Also ordered the AJT Designs Key Fob in Anvil with red screws. Should be a super easy install.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I think I finally fixed a squeak that I've been having in the rear. Narrowed it down to the Tire Carrier and the saddle that joins the actual carrier with the rear tailgate. Cleaned behind the plate (ton of New Mexico dirt) and re positioned the saddle.

Hopefully it fixes the squeak in the rear, man it's annoying.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I think I finally fixed a squeak that I've been having in the rear. Narrowed it down to the Tire Carrier and the saddle that joins the actual carrier with the rear tailgate. Cleaned behind the plate (ton of New Mexico dirt) and re positioned the saddle.

Hopefully it fixes the squeak in the rear, man it's annoying.

Definitely changes the way the Jeep drives when you find a squeak or rattle.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I can report that the squeak in the rear is 100% gone. It's great to open the tailgate silently now and now I don't hear a groan when going over speed bumps or even slightly flexing the rear axle.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got my AJT Designs fob in today. Got it in Anvil with red allen screws.

Really good quality. Color matches pretty well to Anvil. I did have to destroy the old fob to get the key out but it was rough looking anyway.

V4wEnEO.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Took the Jeep to the shop and they figured out what the squeak in the front was. The steer stops weren't adjusted correctly and was causing the U-joint to rub at the steering limit. Quick adjustment fixed it.

Also had Discount Tire replace one of my tires under warranty because it just was not balancing at all. New tire is great and the Jeep drives so much smoother.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Currently at 60,000 miles right now and wondering if I should start considering replacing suspension bushings. Does anyone know when a good time to replace control arm bushings are?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So found out some surprises today:

I went to go check the torque specs on all my bolts today and when I came to my body bolts they were all under spec! So of course I torqued them down to spec and wow what a difference that made in the ride quality! Not only that but there was a creaking snap kinda sound that the Jeep was making when accelerating or stopping.

Problem is is that one of my bolts is stripped I think. I tried to get it to seat for a good while but all it does is just keep spinning, not catching the threads. It is not a major issue since all the other bolts are torqued but it is something that I need to get fixed.

Called the dealership and they said it wouldn't be covered under my extended warranty. Of course. Taking it in on Monday to see what they say.

jeep670

Adventurer
So found out some surprises today:

I went to go check the torque specs on all my bolts today and when I came to my body bolts they were all under spec! So of course I torqued them down to spec and wow what a difference that made in the ride quality! Not only that but there was a creaking snap kinda sound that the Jeep was making when accelerating or stopping.

Problem is is that one of my bolts is stripped I think. I tried to get it to seat for a good while but all it does is just keep spinning, not catching the threads. It is not a major issue since all the other bolts are torqued but it is something that I need to get fixed.

Called the dealership and they said it wouldn't be covered under my extended warranty. Of course. Taking it in on Monday to see what they say.
What body bolts are you referring to? Did you put a body lift in, or what?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I installed a set of rock sliders about 1 1/2 years ago. Had to remove the bolts that connect the body to the frame to mount them and re-install them. They use those bolts as mounting points.

jeep670

Adventurer
I installed a set of rock sliders about 1 1/2 years ago. Had to remove the bolts that connect the body to the frame to mount them and re-install them. They use those bolts as mounting points.
Ah, gotcha! I believe it's 80lbs on big ones and 40 on the small ones. I'd put a drop of blue loctite on all.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ok so I tried to fix my stripped bolt issue yesterday. Was able to get the bolt out and found this strip of metal around the actual bolt. I'm thinking this is from the threads in the body but not 100% sure.

So now when I try to tighten it down, it will actually tighten down and will hold when I hand tighten it. However, when I put a wrench on it it will make a pop sound and will start spinning again.

I'm thinking I may need to get a longer bolt or maybe need to clean out the threads. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

lCmjjrH.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online