Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I did some tire carrier maintenance the other day.

I had to order a new adjustment bolt for the AEV tire carrier because I was running 35s with stock rubicon wheels. I got a new bolt in and it worked but it was waaay to long and was only centimeters away from the tailgate. I ordered a new bolt, a 5 1/2 inch long to replace it.

If anyone is running a stock wheels/ larger tires combo with the AEV tire carrier, I would recommend going with a 5 1/2 inch long bolt for the adjustment bolt, it works great.

The old bolt:
IO9OT0S.jpg

The difference between the 7 inch and 5 1/2 inch bolts:
YA27RlM.jpg

New bolt installed, nice and flush:
mtPN7FX.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Rock Hard 4x4 sliders

Hey y'all,

so I am about to pull the trigger on a set of rock sliders from Rock Hard 4x4, specifically the tube style sliders. Does anyone on the forum have experience with these sliders? I like how easy they are to install and love the look. I just want to be sure about the quality before I spend close to 500 bucks.

Any advice would be appreciated!

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Your Jeep looks great.

The KO2 tires are awesome and they do everything well to really well (only question I have is in snow but that's not a frequent issue for me here in SoCal).

I'm surprised to see your 315/70 (~35" x 12.5") tires on the stock Rubicon wheels. I don't think I've seen that before and I'm curious to know if there's any rubbing or other issues?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Your Jeep looks great.

The KO2 tires are awesome and they do everything well to really well (only question I have is in snow but that's not a frequent issue for me here in SoCal).

I'm surprised to see your 315/70 (~35" x 12.5") tires on the stock Rubicon wheels. I don't think I've seen that before and I'm curious to know if there's any rubbing or other issues?

Same here in Texas, I wouldn't know how they handle because it never snows down here.

So without a "Wheel adapter", or spacer, whatever you like to call them, they will rub. I currently have a 1.5" spacer on all four corners and that gives the wheels enough backspace to clear the inner fender wells without rubbing. There really isn't any other issues that I can think of running with this setup. Maybe finding a tire shop to mount them will be tricky but I really don't like any other wheels out there and I got these Rubicon wheels for a steal.

Hope that helps!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So for Christmas my uncle got me a brand new 48 inch Hi-Lift jack and a hood mount for it. I was really happy that he got it for me and I love it. I have been meaning to buy one for a while now but I guess i'll take it as a gift. :) I can already tell that the hood mount will probably block the washer nozzles on the hood so down the road I will end up getting the AEV mount and mount it in the rear but as for now, I love the look on the hood.
lMIHjqI.jpg

I also ordered the neoprene sleeve that helps protect the jack from road grime and I ordered some cheap rear tail-light guards as a little Christmas gift to myself.

Aaaaand I just placed my order from the Rockhard 4x4 rock sliders. Really excited and can't wait to get them installed!

Dynatrac pro-grip kit may be close behind... :sombrero:

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Rockhard 4x4 sliders are installed and wow I love these things.

They were a bit tricky to install. The rear tabs for the rear body bolts were off by a good several cm's and my uncle and I had to really work to get the body bolts to catch. I am not sure if this is because of the wreck this past year or what but they are installed no problems.

I decided to put several strips of grip tape so that someone doesn't go and slip on the sliders and hurts themselves... because you know... thats bad, mkay.

Here are some photos, also got a cover for the hi-lift jack installed:

KjFjTH7.jpg

QmvsvqW.jpg

0vsKYtb.jpg

OLHobci.jpg

dazFmoq.jpg

Happy New Years everyone! See you in 2017!

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looks great!
If you spray down the climbing linkage on the jack with some penetrating oil, it will stay nice clean and functional in the jacket.

I'm with you on the rims. I like stock Rubicon wheels. :beer:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
X2 I like them so much I put them on my TJ:)

Really like the idea of the grip tape. Figure I might copy it for use on my rack.

The Jeep keeps on looking great! Can't get enough of the Anvil, got to be one of the best colors I've seen on a Jeep

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Looks great!
If you spray down the climbing linkage on the jack with some penetrating oil, it will stay nice clean and functional in the jacket.

Thanks for the tip. Thanks! I am really happy with the Rubicons myself.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
X2 I like them so much I put them on my TJ:)

Really like the idea of the grip tape. Figure I might copy it for use on my rack.

The Jeep keeps on looking great! Can't get enough of the Anvil, got to be one of the best colors I've seen on a Jeep

Yea I learned that trick of grip tape when I almost slipped from climbing down my Gobi ladder on my 4Runner.

Thanks! Hopefully more things will happen to it in 2017!

Alphonse

Observer
Sliders look good! I'm running the same ones for a couple years they have taken some good hits like a champ! I sprayed mine down with rustoleum bedliner before install to give them some gripping texture, but I think I like your idea better!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Sliders look good! I'm running the same ones for a couple years they have taken some good hits like a champ! I sprayed mine down with rustoleum bedliner before install to give them some gripping texture, but I think I like your idea better!

Thanks! I do like the finish that comes with them but them are pretty slippery. I had some grip tape lying around the garage so thats the route I went.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Be careful stepping out when wearing shorts! Like you, I thought grip tape on sliders was a good idea, but the first time I slide out wearing shorts left a fair amount of skin from my hamstring on said tape...

Looks good though!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I went to get the Jeep serviced today and got some bad news, one of my motor mounts seems to be torn to hell.

I have had a vibration at idle for several months now and they determined that bad motor mounts are the cause. I am going to set up an appointment to get them fixed. Has anyone had a similar issue? Ive only got 38,000 miles on the Jeep and its a 2014.

Also does anyone have an estimate on cost if this isn't covered under warranty?

Not a happy camper today. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online