Capitol Reef National Park in our Land Cruiser

jeepers29

Thanks for checking it out! We really didn't know what to expect, but whatever it was, it exceeded our expectations!

Thank you!

The loop was incredible, I'm glad that we made it the focal point of our trip! And thank you! We're no experts by any means, but it's fun to share our adventures, and hopefully inspire others.
I am going to be there at the end of June with my kids for one day. Can this loop be done in a decent day trip? We will be at the end of a month long trip and so not sure if they will be up to much but I would love to drive the loop if doable in a day by yourself. Thanks for any info.

sn_85

Observer
I am going to be there at the end of June with my kids for one day. Can this loop be done in a decent day trip? We will be at the end of a month long trip and so not sure if they will be up to much but I would love to drive the loop if doable in a day by yourself. Thanks for any info.

Easily doable in a day. I think it took me about 3 or 4 hours. I didn't do a ton of sight seeing but did get out to look at a few landmarks.

Bhill_teq

Easily doable. Like he said, we did it in about 3-4 hours. I think we were moving faster than we should have. I wish we would have stopped to look around more, but we just weren't sure how long it would take.
Excellent video.
Thank you! Thanks for checking it out!

Amp34

We did the loop last April and it was one of the best parts of our trip. It was an unplanned run too, just looking for places to go between Canyonlands and Escalante.

Most of it runs through BLM land so lots of camping options. We stayed in the official campground around half way round and it was very well laid out and private - only 9 (?) spaces however, so could fill up at busy periods.

We crossed the river at around 2pm, got to the campground at around 6 and then finished at around noon or so the next day, but spent our time at all the stops. Most of it was smooth dirt when we were there, couple of minor water crossings (excluding the first). The only rough bit was around half way round, near the campground due to a lot of small (smooth) rocks in the road surface.

If you can I’d definitely recommend spending the night. The views around sunset and dawn are stunning.

Bhill_teq

We did the loop last April and it was one of the best parts of our trip. It was an unplanned run too, just looking for places to go between Canyonlands and Escalante.

Most of it runs through BLM land so lots of camping options. We stayed in the official campground around half way round and it was very well laid out and private - only 9 (?) spaces however, so could fill up at busy periods.

We crossed the river at around 2pm, got to the campground at around 6 and then finished at around noon or so the next day, but spent our time at all the stops. Most of it was smooth dirt when we were there, couple of minor water crossings (excluding the first). The only rough bit was around half way round, near the campground due to a lot of small (smooth) rocks in the road surface.

If you can I’d definitely recommend spending the night. The views around sunset and dawn are stunning.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah we'd definitely like to stay there for the night and catch the Temple of the Sun at either sunset or sunrise. Just another reason to go back!

Coastie24

Your trip report convinced me to do it on my cross country trip! Thanks for the great video. We had an amazing time and of all the parks we hit this was our favorite.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Was there June 26th. Really enjoyed it. Took our 7-10yr olds. Hit Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Moab Arches, Canyon Lands, Dead Horse, North Rim.

My top favorites to return to and spend more time we’re Bryce and Dixie NF “Bolder Mt” over to Capitol Reef AWESOME drive!!! North Rim was fantastic also.

Still need to visit the South side Monument Valley, Moki Dugway. Etc

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lessons learned july is Monsoon season out that way. Tents and Monsoon winds don’t play well together so either plan for housing or hard side type accommodations if your in the season time frame. End of June we missed the monsoon action but got some 30+mph winds in Moab from a distant thunder storm dissipating that created enough tent challenges I know that I don’t want to tent camp that region in July lol.

Dirt roads are heavily used, when dry just about any vehicle can drive them. Add water and nothing but a tracked vehicle can drive the slick mud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles