Canyonlands Winter 2013

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I would suggest (with the utmost respect and politeness) that the question can be answered readily with a little geographic logic and mapping. In my opinion, like SX eludes to, "adventure" is better found on your own, and this one can be figured out quite readily with maps, Google Earth, and the litany of information on the internet. To me, it's more fun to figure it out myself, than follow a GPX track. The landmarks in the photo give the location away.

As you said to you it is more fun. The guy asked for some info and was shunned. Very friendly.

Scott Brady

Founder
As you said to you it is more fun. The guy asked for some info and was shunned. Very friendly.

He was not shunned. Sinuhe explained that he does not give specifics of locations in his photos. Nearly all professional photographers are that way. No one is obligated to give information on areas they visit. There are many places I will not give specifics on, sometimes because I promised someone that I wouldn't, other times the area is so challenging and remote that it needs some detail, specific information, permits/permission, etc.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I don't think being a "professional" photographer is the important thing here. He could have been nice and pm'd the guy. Aren't we here to share info about places we've been to? The guy from WI just wanted to visit a place which he must have found interesting. Maybe he wanted a family photo there to put on a christmas card. It isn't like he is nearby. For him the trip does include a lot of planning and expense.

I've been on trips with people who specifically told me if photos of the areas they had shown me ever ended up on the net I would not be invited on more trips. I obliged as these people became close friends. Now if someone asked me in a PM about a place I had knowledge of I would consider sharing. Canyonlands is pretty big. Sinuhe could have narrowed it down or pm'd the guy. I know professional photogs that aren't anything like that. Is it that difficult to be friendly, cordial, and not sarcastically silent?

Scott Brady

Founder
Sinuhe,

Thanks for posting the pictures of Canyonlands and details on your equipment of choice. We look forward to hearing more about the adventure. Hopefully future comments in this thread will be more polite and considerate to the intent of your contribution.

4172619807_ed70201356_o.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Thanks for taking the time to introduce your trip and sharing some very nice photos.

I'll be checking back to see how it turned out.

I was interested to read your gear list as well, because (1) I've never backpacked in snow and (2) was curious what you would bring in the photo kit. I've been trying to decide on my first "real" tripod and it's tough to get real life experience. Thanks Again.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I don't think being a "professional" photographer is the important thing here. He could have been nice and pm'd the guy. Aren't we here to share info about places we've been to? The guy from WI just wanted to visit a place which he must have found interesting. Maybe he wanted a family photo there to put on a christmas card. It isn't like he is nearby. For him the trip does include a lot of planning and expense.

I've been on trips with people who specifically told me if photos of the areas they had shown me ever ended up on the net I would not be invited on more trips. I obliged as these people became close friends. Now if someone asked me in a PM about a place I had knowledge of I would consider sharing. Canyonlands is pretty big. Sinuhe could have narrowed it down or pm'd the guy. I know professional photogs that aren't anything like that. Is it that difficult to be friendly, cordial, and not sarcastically silent?

Friendly and cordial is not the same as not telling someone of a location. Specially if it is a location from a photo. I am like that with wildlife to some degree but I travel so much that if I see an animal like an owl and know I will not be back in the area I might drop a hint to a few of my photog buddies. As Scott pointed out, there are also places that I am not allowed to tell you about even in a PM. By the way a PM means nothing once you spill the beans... It happens more than you can believe and then the place that I love to shoot at so much becomes a sea of SLR's. I used to have this one place here in central Florida that I would have to myself for days on end. now every time I go there are 5-10 vehicles there as well. Kind of kills it.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Thanks for taking the time to introduce your trip and sharing some very nice photos.

I'll be checking back to see how it turned out.

I was interested to read your gear list as well, because (1) I've never backpacked in snow and (2) was curious what you would bring in the photo kit. I've been trying to decide on my first "real" tripod and it's tough to get real life experience. Thanks Again.

Take the kit you have but try not to overlap to much. as for a tripod. everyone has their own preference. I personally prefer manfrotto to Gitzo. If you are hiking the number of days will impact how much weight in photo gear you can haul. I seriously know pro photogs that carry a Nikon crop sensor with an 18-200 because of the range and weight factors. I can never seem to do that myself as much like Sinuhe, I am addicted to the 70-200 2.8 and even tend to always have a 2x telecon with me. Of course I shoot wildlife primarily so the focal length is a must. Also find yourself a variable ND filter and have your CPL on you. Do not buy multiple sizes of filters either. What ever your biggest lens is buy that Mine happens to be a 77mm filter so I use step down rings for lenses that are smaller. Cheap, lite, and usefull.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Down!!!! Down jacket, down booties, down sleeping bag....

Have fun! Enjoy:)

I almost forgot about down booties, which are a must in camp and weigh nothing. The pair I have, by Big Agnes, aren't made anymore, but they're great. Thanks for reminding me.

Is that THE Craig Childs, the author, you are traveling with?

Yes. Author of The Secret Knowledge of Water, House of Rain, Soul of Nowhere and The Apocalyptic Planet. He and I worked on 127 Hours together as well as a documentary about the Rio Baker in the Patagonia region of Chile for Patagonia called Rios Libres. I'm really fortunate to have him as a friend and traveling partner.

Ace Kvale is no slacker himself, having been a member of over 25 expeditions in the Himalaya. He lives in Southern Utah and backpacks hundreds of miles a year throughout the canyon country. We've been friends for a long time through skiing and have worked together on several projects for Marmot over the years. The three of us connected in Telluride and came up with this silly idea to go on a walk in the desert in the dead of winter.

goranvolvo

Observer
Pretty vast area. EP is about sharing information. Canyonlands is big and comprises three sections. This guy is traveling from WI and you could at least PM him or vice versa. That is a long haul and not likely a trip that happens often for someone coming from that distance. Cut him some slack and help out.

Thanks for support ,but that is ok I will not miss out allot I have 20 days to go out west and back there is a lot to se only reason I was asking because I don’t have time to waste .
There are a lot of nice people on this forum a you can ask Q but I guess I got bed luck and hit on proud one

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Pretty vast area. EP is about sharing information. Canyonlands is big and comprises three sections. This guy is traveling from WI and you could at least PM him or vice versa. That is a long haul and not likely a trip that happens often for someone coming from that distance. Cut him some slack and help out.

Thanks for support ,but that is ok I will not miss out allot I have 20 days to go out west and back there is a lot to se only reason I was asking because I don’t have time to waste .
There are a lot of nice people on this forum a you can ask Q but I guess I got bed luck and hit on proud one

I will try and articulate why I don't share the locations of my photos. I'm sorry that either of you feel I was being unfriendly, proud, silently sarcastic or rude. That was not my intention, I assure you.

Anyone that has ever seen one of my trip reports knows that I don't use a GPS, so there will never be .gpx track to follow and I don't publish the exact locations of my images on any public forum, unless it's a well known spot. My not sharing the location of that particular overlook is absolutely nothing personal, please don't take it that way.

1) I'm not a guide. I inspire people through my pictures not my directions.

2) Most of the places I go are well off the beaten path and very primitive, no campfire rings, no pit toilets, etc usually accessed either by foot or specialized equipment. By posting the location publicly it opens the doors to people that, to no fault of their own, may not know the best practices for such a site. Especially in Southern Utah, where the desert is at it's most delicate. Until I "know" a person will treat the area with respect, I feel no obligation to share.

3) I've spent the last 22 years in Southern Utah, I've lived in Moab and another small town. I've logged a lot of miles to find these places both in trucks and on my bike that've been forgotten or overlooked and that was part of my adventure. Driving until 3am looking for that one spur that took you to a canyons edge, throwing my bag out under a blanket of stars only to wake up with a view a view I wasn't expecting or had no idea was there. By posting coords and .gpx files I feel I would rob people of that experience.

I hope that explains my philosophy on this subject and it can be put to bed.

mph

Expedition Leader
So where you going:). Couldn't resist!

I agree with your above philosophy. Most of my favorite places...I just found or heard a story about traveling down this road, then take a left, follow the fence line, take a right, pass a brown sign, stop, and look to your left....

Every trip has its discoveries and highlights. I'm sure yours will too. Enjoy!

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
Not to pile on (so ignore this now), but sinuhexavier, there is maybe something being missed in all this.

I didn't know you were a pro shooter. I didn't think of it, actually. I thought, rather, that you were someone who knew some pretty cool things.

That said I can appreciate not giving out some locations. Instead, maybe a suggestion for some other areas (that are probably just as stunning to someone like me from the east) would be possible.

So that's the thing. Planning a trip is hard when you don't have anything to go on. Google Earth and all is fine (and I've found plenty of trails that way) but Canyonlands is a pretty big place. Hope I get out there again soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94