Canyonlands Winter 2013

It seems weird, but much of the burden for California electricity is placed on rural Utah/AZ populations by way of coal fired generation stations.

And most of it's power is used to pump fresh water for the CAP program to 80% of Arizona residents.

We like to smugly turn a blind eye to our own industrial needs, and bury them in rural areas where we don't need to face reality.

I know what it is for, and I know it is the dirtiest coal plant in NA. It is also wrapped up in native politics. We dont NEED to move water that way but that is for a fireside chat...

trackhead

Adventurer
#cleanenergy #expensive #Americans #cheap #blindeye #someoneelsesbackyard #winkie #carryon

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Always love seeing the ambulance in green river...reminds me of the one in the movie Ghostbusters!

Last edited:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Denied.

Shut down.

Sucker punched.

Clothes lined...

Those are just a few of the ways to describe what happened to our little outing. Ace and I checked the forecast on our way out of town and saw nothing but 10 days of sun balls with the occasional high clouds, in-other-words typical for Southern Utah. Our first day was spent driving over from the Escalante area where temps hovered in the upper 30's low 40's to Green River to connect with Craig who was coming in from Colorado. As we rounded the San Rafael Swell the inversion hanging over the Colorado River and Green River Basins was looking murky at best. Pulling the truck into a parking spot in front of Ray's we were surprised to see the temps creedling in the low teens. It was looking like it was going too be a cold trip after all.

Craig arrived and we ate our burgers with Stacye and Virgil at the best hamburger joint in Green River, Ray's, the last substantial meal we were planning on having in 10 days. We shoved off south into the San Rafael Desert a little after 6pm catching the last blue light of the setting sun.

We arrived at the trailhead well after 10pm and started a small fire to pass the time and warm up beside before we hunkered down in the sub zero temps.

The next morning greeted us with a beautiful crisp blue sky and we headed out. The snow wasn't going anywhere, even on south facing sandstone there was no melt with temps in the low teens. It was only on the wind scoured exposed rock that we could get a solid foot hold.

We abandoned our plan to reach the original destination because it had been so slow going with a freeze thaw cycle that had left verglas under rotten snow. Making otherwise innocuous climbs and traverses something to consider and most of the times avoid. It was decided to hunker down in an alcove and reassess our situation in the morning.

The next day after an amazing sunrise a sheet of gray moved across the plateau raising temps by fifteen to twenty degrees, the snow was melting on the rocks but the dirt was also turning into a muddy mess. Not to mention the sheet of gray killed any chances of creating a decent image. We hunkered down and considered our options while listening to the weather report over the 2-meter. It wasn't looking good.

*A fire pan was used on both the slick rock by the truck and a smaller portable pan used within the alcove. Leave no trace.

**The image from the alcove is available as a desktop wallpaper on Adventure Journal if you happen to be interested.

Scott Brady

Founder
WOW!

Beautiful images Sinuhe. Sorry the trip didn't turn out as hoped.

8418405272_913347982a_b.jpg

mph

Expedition Leader
Sorry...love that arch area...never gotten it in great light for shot though. Looks like u did! Well done!

sinuhexavier

Explorer
We hunkered down for two days, heading as far south as Salt Creek where we were informed there was a fatality on that morning on the trail we were permitting for. An unfortunate person hiking alone slipped on the verglas and fell 20-30 feet to their death. The signs were not looking good for us as it started to rain. To make matters worse, it was as if the crows were truly heckling us, laughing at our every step.

After a night that included rain, sleet and later snow things were looking grim, the forecast actually used the term "wintery mix." We woke to damp gear and an even more damp outlook.

With the gloom on level nine we decided we would make one last push along the rim of Island in the sky and see if we could get somewhere. The Nat. Park Ranger that issued permits looked at us like we were crazy and bid us good luck. We pushed on to no avail, stuck in a fog that opened up every now and then to tease us with what lay in its depths.

We retreated at the end of that day with our tails between our legs as another front moved in and the forecast called for 5 more days of the same. For now the trip has been postponed until the end of February, hopefully we land some better weather.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Great RR guys. Even a short trip out is better than no trip at all. I'm sure you'll have better luck in February. It would be fun to meet up with all of you some day. Think I've read all of Craig's books but the newest. Will be buying that ASAP. Really like your photography. Understand your philosophy regarding people. I prefer very small groups myself. Having said that, I do plan on attending OX this year and it would be a pleasure meeting all three of you. I'll be bringing some peaty Isley Isle scotch and some good cigars. Does bribery work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier