Canvas canopy for flatbed?

Hi guys,

I’ve always liked the idea of a flatbed for many reasons, but the thing holding me back is the difficulty of covering the bed. I keep imagining something like a Softopper for a flatbed. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Ute Ltd does make an aluminum canopy for their flatbeds that aren’t too pricy (I was quoted about $2,500), but it seems like that would be a pain to remove/reinstall (I’m told it’s 6 or 8 bolts through the bed, and a wiring harness).

I also googled for canvas tray canopies and saw some stuff in Australia, but nothing in the US.

If I could find a flatbed canopy that was relatively easy to fold up or remove, I would be way more likely to pull the trigger on the flatbed.

I have pondered the idea of making something that would do this, although I would much rather find a product that was already designed for the purpose.

So if anyone has seen something like this or has some clever ideas to build one let me know!

-Jesse

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Why not try to get one of the Aussie ones?

But none-the-less there's domestic ones that take inspiration from military cargo covers.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Why not try to get one of the Aussie ones?

But none-the-less there's domestic ones that take inspiration from military cargo covers.

View attachment 619984

View attachment 619999

I emailed a few of the Australian companies and never heard anything back. Some of those look very interesting though. I’ll update this thread if I get any responses.

I also emailed Truckhugger about their system. It sounds interesting, but probably not what I’m looking for.

For anyone who’s interested, here is the rundown as far as I understand:
A soft shell system for a 7x7 flatbed that is cab high (like the above picture from DaveInDenver) runs approximately $2400. It extends and retracts via electric power. There are 4.5” tall side rails that bolt to the flatbed and contain the tracks/cables for the shell. It sounds as if it’s pretty easy to remove the shell by disconnecting from the front (towards truck cab) and removing end plates at the rear, then the shell slides right out the back. The 4.5” tall side rails remain in place though as they are more difficult to remove. They also do not recommend driving with the shell retracted as the canvas will flap and get wind whip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz