Canter not starting

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
What year is truck and what engine?
As stated in the first post, this is a FG84, so it has the 4.9L, 4M50 common rail engine. (very similar to the US FG140)
Same as my truck, so I am also interested in why this might happen, and if it does... how to fix it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wouldn’t a common rail engine have injectors controlled by solenoids? Wouldn’t a scan tool reveal the problem? Is the check engine light on?

No engine light on scan tool will not pick anything up
Have noticed it has two wires broken on the left side of the gearbox there is about three plugs that they can go into not sure which one they connect to sparky job i think
They come out of the harness that is all I know
Gary

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Got a photo?
From memory (which is scant, at best) there is a neutral switch on the gearbox, to stop you starting the truck when it is in gear.
Could be as simple as that not being connected.

That switch is not on the side, it is on the top, where the selector linkages go into the gearbox.

Got a photo?
From memory (which is scant, at best) there is a neutral switch on the gearbox, to stop you starting the truck when it is in gear.
Could be as simple as that not being connected.

That switch is not on the side, it is on the top, where the selector linkages go into the gearbox.
Being manual would it still have one
These wires are hanging beside the box

The wire'sIMG_20210917_120629_HDR.jpgIMG_20210917_120629_HDR.jpgIMG_20210917_120629_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_120629_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210917_120629_HDR.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210917_120604_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210917_120604_HDR.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210812_154944.jpg
    IMG_20210812_154944.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210812_154845.jpg
    IMG_20210812_154845.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I see the problem... you buy your fuel at Coles! ;)

To answer your question, the FG84 is not available as an automatic, so yes, that neutral switch is definitely on a manual.

Sorry, but it is next to impossible to determine anything from those photos, other than possibly the colour, which looks like they are light green.
As it turns out... the wires for the neutral switch are also light green.

You could try connecting them together, to see if your truck starts.
If you are concerned about potentially blowing something up, if they are not actually the neutral switch wires, use a jumper wire with a 1A fuse in it.
The neutral switch is just a continuity switch. If it is open circuit the truck is not meant to start.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The neutral safety switch in earlier years stopped the starter from operating at all, so if your starter is working it’s probably not the neutral safety switch

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Glad you brought this thread here to this forum.
I've been watching. Lots of info but being as it it is common rail, I don't have a lot of info.
The photos are bad but the two electrical connectors look to be the ones for "high and low range" and "4WD" switches. If you follow the wires do they both run to the front of the transfer case near the front tailshaft. Joining them together, ignition on, one or the other light on the dash should light up.

Dan

Glad you brought this thread here to this forum.
I've been watching. Lots of info but being as it it is common rail, I don't have a lot of info.
The photos are bad but the two electrical connectors look to be the ones for "high and low range" and "4WD" switches. If you follow the wires do they both run to the front of the transfer case near the front tailshaft. Joining them together, ignition on, one or the other light on the dash should light up.

Dan
Na bud the lights on the dash work mine is on the right side
Just found out about a relay behind the dash about the centre of the cab will l will look at that tomorrow
Hopefully what year is your canter have you had many problems with it
Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles