Canter 6X6 - Yes or No.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well I know this Thread is old but I have been plugging away in the background.

The divider box ( two tailshafts out to the rear) has been designed (not built yet). It will have 2WD (front rear axle) - Both rear axles full time drive (centre diff) - Both rear axles locked together. Most parts for this have been acquired. A couple of shafts will need to be manufactured if we proceed. This box will bolt to the rear of the standard Canter transfer case and allow the two tailshafts to run to the diffs. Hand brake will move to the divider box.

Rear suspension has been designed (drawn up). It will use Standard Canter rear springs and a rocker box to make them load sharing.

Second axle brakes will use a separate vacuum over hydraulic brake unit signaled by hydraulic pressure in the first rear axle.

The Paper Work. There is still some hold up but progress is being made. I'm doing it all myself. I don't want to throw money at an engineering company to have them come back and say your moneys gone and it can't be done. There are stories of others having this problem.

Gee, I proposed this in 2018.
Dan.

seagulljim

Dan
approx 1 year ago in Queensland a 6x6 canter was advertised on facebook.

it was set up for desert trips

it had massive tyres and had failed rego because the tyres were too old

the seller posted quite a few detailed photos , some of which could be valuable for your project

perhaps thus could be of help if you can find it.

cheers

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Dan
approx 1 year ago in Queensland a 6x6 canter was advertised on facebook.

it was set up for desert trips

it had massive tyres and had failed rego because the tyres were too old

the seller posted quite a few detailed photos , some of which could be valuable for your project

perhaps thus could be of help if you can find it.

cheers

This I all ready know.
I actually went and saw to the man that built it (near Atherton) with the thought of offering to buy it from him but he had allready sold it to a gent in Cairns (some 10 months earlier), who by his telling would never sell it. When I get home (Gladstone) I see it is for sale in Cairns. I chase it up and it has been sold unregistered and the new owner is having trouble with rego. Now this came with two sets of tyres. A normal set of Super Singles, yes old but not to expensive to replace and the larger tyres at a lot greater price. He didn't want to replace the cheaper tyres for his roadworthy. It wasn't as cool on the smaller tyres. I never did find it again.

If you see it give me a yell,
Dan.

Sitec

Adventurer
Sounds like an interesting project you are undertaking. You prob have a plan already, but have you thought of the upside down leaf spring setup found on 6x4 and 6x6 Mercedes trucks... They still have two axles, and a link shaft as normal but the axles have a lot more travel as they are both using a central pivot axis...

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I went for a drive last week (2,500Klm / 1,550Mls) to pick up my "victim" for my "Yes or No" vehicle. It is a 2000 model FE637 with a long chassis so I don't have to give it stretch. Engineer loves that.
It has a 4D33 4.2l non-turbo engine. It will be getting a turbo as part of the conversion.

2WDcanter1.jpg

All coming together - slowly.
Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
I went for a drive last week (2,500Klm / 1,550Mls) to pick up my "victim" for my "Yes or No" vehicle. It is a 2000 model FE637 with a long chassis so I don't have to give it stretch. Engineer loves that.
It has a 4D33 4.2l non-turbo engine. It will be getting a turbo as part of the conversion.

View attachment 696566

All coming together - slowly.
Dan.

Dan,

I know you have already bought the truck but.... If you were starting with a two wheel drive model, why didn't you choose to go with the FH 6 cylinder model? Seems like the extra power would be helpful pushing all those tires through the sand.....

Allan

DzlToy

Explorer
Sounds like an interesting project you are undertaking. You prob have a plan already, but have you thought of the upside down leaf spring setup found on 6x4 and 6x6 Mercedes trucks... They still have two axles, and a link shaft as normal but the axles have a lot more travel as they are both using a central pivot axis.

This is called a walking beam suspension and is relatively common on tandem rear axle vehicles. It was used on 2.5 ton military trucks in the US from the Vietnam era. Many other trucks have made use of this design as well, but it is easy to find pictures and videos showing the off road capabilities of these trucks using that type of suspension, for those who may not be familiar with it. Below is a video of a HMMWV that has been converted.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Dan,

I know you have already bought the truck but.... If you were starting with a two wheel drive model, why didn't you choose to go with the FH 6 cylinder model? Seems like the extra power would be helpful pushing all those tires through the sand.....

Allan

The reason to stick with a Canter was to keep the vehicle Canter width. Other wise I may as well have gone with a larger 4WD truck (probably cheaper option). This is being made to run old drill rig routes in the desert. Some of these are getting very overgrown so a wider truck will have trouble getting through. The 4.2 litre motor not be stock. A new Turbo that I have been working on will be here shortly. It will be fitted to my 4WD Canter for testing and if successful another will be ordered. Gotta get boost down lower. Have other modes on the draw card as well. (A little extra injection/blow).

Yep, walking beam is good till you figure in all the extra gearing that is needed in the drives (extra load) or using drive chain which is a problem waiting to happen. I driven to many graders that have broken drive chains.
Another problem is my engineer wants me to be able to separate the drives. As in 2WD (front rear axle) 4WD (as in front rear axle and front axle) 6WD (as in 4WD and rear rear axle) The 2 rear axles will be able to be driven Locked Together or have a Power Divide option (centre diff). This I have designed with readily available parts, still got to complete the build.

Well that's the idea,
Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94