Canon G11 announced

Michael Slade

Untitled
IMO less MP = better quality

Increased DR = finally Canon!

No HD video = buy a dedicated HD video camera already!

Mine's already on order.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
IMO less MP = better quality

Increased DR = finally Canon!

No HD video = buy a dedicated HD video camera already!

Mine's already on order.

I agree with all of your points, but what surprised me is that Canon does too! I honestly wasn't expecting Canon to listen to the group that wants image quality versus those who just want all of the latest toys and highest numbers.

If only Toyota would do the same thing with diesel...

But I am still very interested in seeing image samples.

Pete

Michael Slade

Untitled
When I get it I'll set up a folder on my server that will hold a ton of RAW images. You guys can download them and play with how they look to your heart's content.

I'm guessing about 30-ish days until I see it in my hands.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
When I get it I'll set up a folder on my server that will hold a ton of RAW images. You guys can download them and play with how they look to your heart's content.

I'm guessing about 30-ish days until I see it in my hands.

I'd appreciate that! Thanks Michael!

haven

Expedition Leader
Also check out the new Canon Powershot S90.

--Same sensor and Digic IV processor as the G11
--raw mode as well as JPG
--3.0 inch LCD with 461k dot resolution (no articulation, though)
--28-105mm stabilized lens (F2.0-F4.9)
--100 x 58 x 31 mm, 175 g
--ISO 80 to ISO 3200
--full manual control of exposure time, aperture
--shutter speed 1/1600 second to 15 seconds
--movie mode 640 x 480 @ 30fps, clip length up to 1 hour
--Canon msrp $429

For $499, the G11 offers a longer zoom, an optical viewfinder,
an articulated LCD, and a bigger battery in a package
that is twice as large and twice as heavy as the S90.
[edit: the G11 also offers a hot shoe for external flash.
The S90 doesn't.]

Chip Haven

Michael Slade

Untitled
I am very familiar with Canon's Powershot range of cameras. I just ordered 46 of last year's Powershot SX110 at a price of just over $200. It is a great camera, has a RAW hack, has all kinds of manual controls, and is very compact. I have been shooting with it for the past 2 weeks and am very impressed.

Last year my students had a combination of G5's, Powershot A590 IS and Powershot A720 IS cameras. There is no comparison to any of the Powershot A series or S series cameras to the G series in terms of reliability and ruggedness. Additionally that flip screen and viewfinder will be an incredible asset to the longevity of the camera.

The tendency to remove the viewfinder and rely solely on the LCD display for image making is a bad trend IMO. The reliance on the LCD eats batteries for lunch. Additionally, we lost 3 of the A590's last year to what I call 'LCD Crunch'. This is where the camera is basically 'sandwiched' and the LCD cracks and the camera is rendered useless.

The G11 camera, with it's swivel screen basically protects itself from scratches and LCD Crunch. I actually waited two generations of G series cameras to get this one. It, by far has the features that I have been waiting for. The G10 was close...dang close. This is the first camera that I had pre-ordered in many, many years.

If your budget requires you to be within the price-point of the S or A series Powershot cameras, they are indeed VERY useful and incredibly capable. Frankly, with the RAW hack, this SX110 is basically a stripped down G10 in a slightly flimsier package. Many of my students will be using the RAW hack when we start editing heavily in Lightroom. Some won't care, but for those who do, it'll be a great option.

Since we had to buy so many cameras this year, the SX110 was the camera that most closely fit what our budget could take and what my class requirements were. We can amortize the purchase price over the course of 3 years and have them paid for with lab fees. These cameras will easily fit the level of shooting my students will arrive at during the time they use them. After the class where they use this camera, many, if not all of those students will graduate to a DSLR that can shoot RAW.

There are a lot of considerations for anyone to weigh when deciding the purchase of a camera. Buying any one of the Canon Powershot cameras really isn't anything to be looked down upon. The fact that you're buying a camera that you will carry with you everywhere, learn how to use it, and tell the story of your life is the best reason of all.

Happy shopping!

esh

Explorer
I was thinking G1.. my first digital. Glad they are bringing the swivel screens back. They bring some nice utility to many situations.

Photog

Explorer
The G11 is looking more like a long term camera. 10 good quality megapixels, flip screen, knobs on top (not all menu driven).:wings:

It should shoot in RAW and be readable by the CPP software.

The G cameras can use the top-end Canon flashes.

I may have a G9 for sale soon. :)

Michael Slade

Untitled
Release date is tomorrow. I won't have time to go pick it up, but I will get it first thing Thursday morning. RAW files uploaded by evening. Should be pretty sweet...I was ogling a student's G10 today in anticipation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier