Canoe Trip Gear List

hikingff77

Adventurer
I'm not referring to your normal light weight-ish canoe trip, I'm talking about camping at a lake where you can only paddle in your supplies. I was recently at Forked Lake in NY and the limit of time you're allowed to stay at one site is 14 days. I have known a few people to do this and I was curious as to what they pack. I pack my normal sleeping bag and self inflating sleeping mat, but I'm sure others would pack more. I'm mostly curious about the sleeping because for the first time in a long time I had a very uncomfortable nights sleep almost every night there. I'm thinking people bring in real air mattresses or cots. What are your thoughts? I'm torn on bringing too much crap or bringing stuff that's very comfortable.

scanny

Observer
I like my self-inflating pad, Normally when it self inflates I inflate it a bit more manually, I mean orally : ) After that it becomes a little bit harder and more comfortable to sleep on.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
What about it made it uncomfortable? Might be time for a thicker pad, or a lightweight cot setup. Many people swear by a pad on top of a cot, although in hot weather a cot by itself gives some ventilation. A roll-a-cot doesn't add a lot of weight or bulk in a boat. Sometimes a pillow is key. On an extended trip where you are base camping bringing your home pillow might be worth it. Unless I'm backpacking or it's really cold, a lot of times I'll trade the sleeping bag for a sheet/down blanket setup so I can sleep more freely. Takes up the same size as a bag. By the sounds of this situation you have the room and ability to easily transport a few "luxury" items in the load, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. As I've gotten older I now happy trade some convenience for a little comfort sometimes.

scanny

Observer
Oh well, all I'm saying it just you might want to play with air pressure a little bit, if it doesn't help I guess you'll have to find some other option. Like trying different pads or cots from a store with easy returns. I got R5 pad, 2.5" thick Takes not much space in canoe and it's been comfortable for me so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke