Canoe and kayak/ gear trailer build

jhill15

Explorer
I'm building a hauler for my canoe and yaks out of a 5×8 utility trailer. Its gonna be pretty basic, and built as cheap as possible.

We don't really go into remote areas to where we would need a super built up expedition trailer but we do hate having loading the canoe on the roof and stuffing the cargo area to the max of our suv, so building this will help us get out easier and more often.

Plans

Storage box: done

Ladder rack: not done

Removable cross bar system: not done

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
I picked up this kobalt full size contractors box from lowes yesterday for $30. Its a little beat up on the lid and missing the locks but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I ordered the new locks from betterbuilt and they cost $40 to my door. So for a total of $70 it was totally worth it.
64ef0cbbe5a2bee50af137f4cc1006da.jpg

PCO6

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing your build. I did something similar with my utility trailer. I often take my kayaks & bikes for day trips and I don't need to take very much if any camping equipment. I built a simple rack system that I can put on or take off in about 10 minutes. I put (& lock) a few Action Packers in the trailer for the things we need.

Good luck with your build.

jhill15

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing your build. I did something similar with my utility trailer. I often take my kayaks & bikes for day trips and I don't need to take very much if any camping equipment. I built a simple rack system that I can put on or take off in about 10 minutes. I put (& lock) a few Action Packers in the trailer for the things we need.

Good luck with your build.
Thanks man! We are gonna be using our trailer for the same thing. What rack system did use to mount your kayaks?

PCO6

Adventurer
jhill15 - I don't want to hijack your thread but here's a picture of it. I used SportRack(s) for my kayaks and CCM bike racks - all bought used off of Kijiji. Both sets of racks are for car/van/etc. roof tops and I'm sure almost any brand of racks could be used. The cross bars are 0.75"x1.5"x11g tubing. They attach to the top of the trailer, which I made about 5 years ago, in 4 locations by 1/2" bolts. This pic doesn't show it but I can easily fit a 27"x16"x18" Action Packer in the front and rear of the trailer plus a 34"x16"x18" one in between the kayaks. I made cable locks for them and they are attached to the cross rails. They are great for life jackets, fishing gear, coolers, etc.

picture.php

jhill15

Explorer
jhill15 - I don't want to hijack your thread but here's a picture of it. I used SportRack(s) for my kayaks and CCM bike racks - all bought used off of Kijiji. Both sets of racks are for car/van/etc. roof tops and I'm sure almost any brand of racks could be used. The cross bars are 0.75"x1.5"x11g tubing. They attach to the top of the trailer, which I made about 5 years ago, in 4 locations by 1/2" bolts. This pic doesn't show it but I can easily fit a 27"x16"x18" Action Packer in the front and rear of the trailer plus a 34"x16"x18" one in between the kayaks. I made cable locks for them and they are attached to the cross rails. They are great for life jackets, fishing gear, coolers, etc.

picture.php
No worries man! You did a great job on it! I'm pretty much going for the same thing with the exception of adding the truck box and ladder rack system.

This is the ladder rack I plan on getting
3cedd7327daef4a63788bb602bf45796.jpg

Then I will use universal cross bar system like malone, sport rack, etc... Something that won't cost a fortune like Thule or Yakima...unless I can find something on Craigslist. I will put that on the side rails of my trailer like you did on yours. That way I can have 2 levels of carrying.

jhill15

Explorer
Here's a little update. I started building my sides today and looking at the best way to mount my box.
9f4706d0a092f6cffc00612a91e7e116.jpg

0a18801f0b0a0c9a7fe77aafe6763e19.jpg

I think I might run a 4x4 down the sides of the trailer and mount it with eye hooks so I will have tie down along the rails. The reason for the 4x4 is because the side walls stick up about 4 inches above the side rails and I want the sheathing to be a little more sturdy.

I was also toying around with the idea of pushing the truck box back far enough to store Jerry cans...however I think it might be a little extreme for this build.
cec4f250411910c9218761d41b0dc749.jpg

cyclic

Adventurer
No, I like it. Add some expanded metal to that fuel can area. You can store paddles and other stuff there, including fuel and water cans as necessary.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just a side note we saw a 9mpg gain after ditching the expanded metal rear ramp on a friends 4x6 being pulled by his subaru. Those Gardner crew trailers with tall ramps are like dive bomber air brakes off wwII aircraft. Ditch the big ramp gate, rig up ramps you can slide out and pin. And a normal height tailgate and you'll see far far better highway mileage. Not to mention a big head wind at highway speeds wont affect trailer stability.

jhill15

Explorer
I got the truck box and the sides bolted on today. Now all I need is a ladder rack to haul the yaks.
3ea2965dd6186f05a29abd64bc5babe0.jpg
b367b9e620a9d1787470f631405fe2dc.jpg

The tongue weight doubled with box on there So I'm gonna get a swing away jack and mod it to have a larger wheel. After that I will more than likely put a floor the trailer and call it a day.

jhill15

Explorer
Just a side note we saw a 9mpg gain after ditching the expanded metal rear ramp on a friends 4x6 being pulled by his subaru. Those Gardner crew trailers with tall ramps are like dive bomber air brakes off wwII aircraft. Ditch the big ramp gate, rig up ramps you can slide out and pin. And a normal height tailgate and you'll see far far better highway mileage. Not to mention a big head wind at highway speeds wont affect trailer stability.
That's a great idea. Plus I'm sure it would make the trailer a little lighter as well. My initial idea was to just use the ramp as a second cross bar to mount the kayaks on but when you buy a ladder rack you get both front and rear bars so I could just one in place of the ramp...not to mention getting stuff in and out of the back would be so much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke